Thread: Need Reel(s) for 4 and 7 weight rods

Default Need Reel(s) for 4 and 7 weight rods

I'm looking for a reel or two for my Orvis T3 4wt 9ft, and my Orvis Hydros 7wt 10ft.

Any chance that there is one reel out there that may work for both rods? I would rather get one reel and an extra spool if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

A Galvan Torque 6 would probably fit the bill as it is light and capable. I use it on my 10'-7 weight for steelhead and it is perfect with plenty of backing and an excellent drag.

If it were me I'd be looking at an Abel Super 4 with a #1 std arbor spool for the 7wt, a little pricey but it will last forever. There's a set on ebay right now that I'v been thinking of buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mateas View Post
    If it were me I'd be looking at an Abel Super 4 with a #1 std arbor spool for the 7wt, a little pricey but it will last forever. There's a set on ebay right now that I'v been thinking of buying.
    Would it work on the 4wt? BTW, I saw a new Super 4 on clearance for $325 at Wyoming Fly Shop (or something like that)

I would not recomend using one reel.

The 9'#4 needs a small light reel to balance it and a 10' #7 needs a larger capacity heavier reel to balance with it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by goby View Post
    Would it work on the 4wt? BTW, I saw a new Super 4 on clearance for $325 at Wyoming Fly Shop (or something like that)
    Yep, the Super 4 is a large arbor made for 4-5wt and the std arbor #1(fits the super 4 frame) can hold 6-8wt lines. Out of all my reels my Abels are by far the best in terms of craftmanship, quality of materials used, customer service, and resale value..... Basically everything I look for when I buy a reel.

Quote Originally Posted by goby View Post
    I'm looking for a reel or two for my Orvis T3 4wt 9ft, and my Orvis Hydros 7wt 10ft.

Any chance that there is one reel out there that may work for both rods? I would rather get one reel and an extra spool if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
    No. Different reels for those two rods. Like a Ross LT for the 4wt, and some heavier sage or orvis reel for the long 7 wt. Kiene's has these and other brands.