Thread: Easter Saturday

Default Easter Saturday

After 2 months of not being able to wet my line, I was finally able to venture south to my childhood waters. Me and my brothers got to the river kind of late (9am) and I was scared I might have missed the swing action. We decided to fish the special regulations section of the river to avoid the mass crowds. Walked 10 minutes or so to the river, and nobody was on our side. There were 2 other guys across from us, but way too far away to even make a difference.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I set myself up with a big bright green intruder and landed the first of 9 for the day.

I caught a few more on the swing, and by 11am the swing died down. I went to assist my younger brother on educating him how to get a perfect drift with a bobber, when to mend, and some techniques of my own. He landed his only fish of the day shortly after my conversation with him.

I rigged myself up with a 3 fly french nymph setup with a mono spring coil. I will usually avoid the spring coil and just go czech. I've only attempted this mono spring coil a few times and didn't have much success. I figured I already caught a few, so why not practice and get better.

(I use 50lb mono line. RED. Wrap it around a bic pen and boil it for about 5-10 minutes. I then take it out and toss it in the freezer over night. SUPER EASY to make.)

Spent a few minutes standing on my rock overlooking the fishes below me. It was such a nice view. Started casting for a few minutes and hooked my first ever triple. O.o. All I can say is, 3 fish ranging from 2-5 lbs all at once is nearly impossible to control. I could see the three of them below me fighting trying to spit out my flies. Eventually, my line snapped (shame on you 5x). Rigged myself up again, and the fish were still there. I moved upstream for half an hour or so and came back to the rock. I did catch all three of them again.. but one at a time.

After an hour or so, we moved upstream to get some lunch and spent some time there with the crowds. Picked up a ton of trash, realized the section above the special regulations was slowly diminishing, and went back downstream to the special regulations section, but on the other side this time.

I hooked my last and biggest fish of the day there, 21 inches and FEISTY. Spent a good 5 minutes or so with it on my reel. He took me between rocks, even wrapped me around a small branch and snapped it off. I almost cried when I heard the snap, but realized he was still on with the branch wrapped in my line. Brought him in, and WOW. Such a beautiful fish. The picture makes him look darker than he really is. He was light gold with a dash of red.

This river probably won't be fishable again until November, so it's time to start tying dry flies for the sierras for the end of this month.

I hope you guys enjoyed the post. I know I enjoy your posts when I'm unable to wet my line after months.

Default Thanx for the post and report.

Some pretty fishees there!

Also, good for you for picking up after the pigs. Last year I made a vow to myself that I would fill up one of my left-over 5 gallon mud buckets with trash each time I went fishing. I never got skunked!

Mono spring coil? Can you please educate me?

JGB

That sign is one of my favorites.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default coiled sighter

Peacock thanks for the vid info --- What thickness/pound is the mono for the coiled sighter? I didn't get it from your vid.

go for 30 lbs and up. nothing bigger than 50 lbs or so.

Nice report. Haven't been down that way for a while. May have to head south soon myself.

I love to see success stories with photo's. I have used the coiled indicator since the early 80's, it has always worked for me on clear waters. Great Post!

Hey Peacock, you should give the lighter pound test stuff a try as well. I usually use 10 pound stren that has a high-vis golden yellow color, which works really well if you are to fish slower water and smaller flies. I have been fishing all the euro methods for a while now and have found that to be a nice way to want to use the french technique(I always fall back to czech/polish technique as well)