Thread: California Native Trout "challenge"?

Default California Native Trout "challenge"?

Please forgive my lack of memory but what is the name for the challenge of catching and documenting the catch of all of the native trout species in California.

This is something that has always interested me, yet I have not dedicated the time to pursue this "challenge."

Can anyone tell me if you have done this or know anything, or know of any website dedicated to this endever?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default #5 & #57 Respectively

All 12 found in CA + 1 not documented. It's a real touchy subject that belongs on Steelhead forum. PM's for sure. Some here on the board like Ed Wahl, Fly Guy Dave, and Grateful Trout are also big CA Heritage Trout Challenge gurus.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Default Heritage Trout

I was #10 to receive the certificate. I have some advice if you want to PM me. Jarrett Black has also done the challenge and I believe the only fish he hasnt caught is the Pauite. So he would be a good resource as well.
    Guiding out here on some of the best trout waters of the west coast, it is my goal to fill your memory bank with plenty of fish tales, big and small!

Hi Adam-

The DFG URL is here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/R.../HTC/index.asp

I have caught all eleven trout (and tried for the 12th) through sheer determination, lots of research, and certainly some luck. Doing the research was half of the fun. It is gravy once you finally catch the specie of trout you researched so thoroughly. Some of the fish might be small, but the feeling of satisfaction you get is really worth it. Plus, you get to see some cool areas of our state that you wouldn't go to otherwise. Follow the link below my name to my blog (shameless plug, I know) for more info...or pictures at least.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I will PM a few of you a little later. Thanks again!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Found the Klammath Redband

We need to go! Different from the first creek 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy (Dave) View Post
    Hi Adam-

The DFG URL is here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/R.../HTC/index.asp

I have caught all eleven trout (and tried for the 12th) through sheer determination, lots of research, and certainly some luck. Doing the research was half of the fun. It is gravy once you finally catch the specie of trout you researched so thoroughly. Some of the fish might be small, but the feeling of satisfaction you get is really worth it. Plus, you get to see some cool areas of our state that you wouldn't go to otherwise. Follow the link below my name to my blog (shameless plug, I know) for more info...or pictures at least.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave

-William Shakespeare

Default Also.....

Pit River Redband and Klamath Redbands out there too in CA but DFG doesn't recognize them for CHTC. Plus two distinct sub species of Sea Run Cutthroats (One year round stream resident form and another true estuarine form which is the real Sea Run) are out there as well. You can submit Steelhead and Coast Rainbow in (resident form) for a cert as well. Same with Lacustrine LCT and stream resident forms. Talk to Heritage Trout guys at DFG. Dave Lentz is a true gentlemen and has tremendous knowledge from decades of research. There are other trout out there in CA I'm sure haven't been scientifically identified as true Mykiss subspecies but potentially could be in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. I will PM a few of you a little later. Thanks again!

-William Shakespeare

Adam, some great advice here. I have two certs myself and can't really add too much. I will say that DFG puts on some great CHT clinics. I went to the one for the Goose Lake and Warner Lakes redband trout. I learned a LOT and got the fish I was after. Jeff Weaver and Stephanie Mehalick were the hosts (you can contact them directly at DFG). They also have done clinics for Lahontan cutts and Eagle Lake rainbows. I'll also second the motion that doing the research and hunting them down is an enormously rewarding part of the challenge. Good luck and PM if you have any questions.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Morris View Post
    We need to go! Different from the first creek 2 years ago
    Sounds good! I'll be "professionally unemployed" soon enough, but the summer is filling fast with family trips, backpacking, and of course, lots of fly angling.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/