Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big fresh Atlantic Salmon on YouTube...

What a beautiful place....thanks Ned.

PGW.....we need pictures.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default I will post more pics later

Thanks Larry. It was a real dream fishing there fish or no fish. My co-workers in St. John were PO'd I didn't try the Miramichi.

Paul - I cannot thank you enough for your recommendation on the Restigouche River Lodge. Keith Vanacore is a class act and you will fish with some great people no doubt. Lots of guys were throwing Thomas & Thomas 15'-16' 8/9 with Mako Spey Reels I think 9600S. My fishing buddy had a Wintston 15' 8/9 and an original Jack Charlton and let me try it for a few. All I can say is WOW! Some even had some Stan Bogdan reels which were so cool to see. I showed up with my Loomis GL3 9'9" Single hand and Reddington Rise 8/9 and I did get a few eyebrows raised. However my guide Auly told me I would have no problem. Not so sure if I hooked a 30lb-40lb fish. I think I would want a spey in hand. You're gonna love it and going to get some fish. Really nothing out there other than lots of rolling green hills so be careful driving from Maine and brush up on your French. I saw more Moose than people once I passed Fredericton and continued all the way to the lodge. Saint Quentin and towns on Prov. Hwy 17 speak nothing but French and same when you leave the lodge and go to Matapedia Quebec.

Best of Luck and I want to see your pics!

PS - Stay away from the Fiddleheads!
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Thanks Ned,

I'm taking one spey rod (14' - 9/10) and a few single handed rods (7, 8, & 9 wt)...

One question, beside the salmon flies (and some West Coast Steelhead patterns) will I require any trout flies?

Paul

Default What to bring

Bring the Spey rod and spey rod only. The River is wider than the main Sacramento River through the entire Valley maybe same width as Rio Vista. Sea Run Brook Trout will hit the Atlantic Salmon Flies and you cannot fish the Restigouche river by yourself for Trout or Salmon. It's all private water and you have to have a guide with you unless you decide to fish the Matapedia River 5 miles away which has some public water. If you are going to fish for Trout in Maine or other parts of NB then I would bring the 6 wt single hand to go with. Flies: They are big on the double prong hooks on the Restigouche and patterns are: Green Highlander, Rusty Rat, Silver Rat, and maybe 3 or 4 more. Certainly bring some of your own flies but you will be using the ones they supply at the lodge as proven patterns for many decades. About $5 CAD each plus they have custom made leaders too at $7 CAD. You could make your own using Maxima but tippet should be about 15 lbs.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare