Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Airflo "Rage Compact" head is versitile....

I use a 480 on the 6129 VXP so I suspect the 510 would be nice. I do prefer a little heavier load.

We now have a full set of Airflo Rage heads for test casting......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks to the loaner heads at the shop I was able to try out the Rage Compact 450gr head on my Scot 1287 ARC early this morning. I have to say that I liked using this head. The head has a longer front taper than a skagit line so it turns over more smoothly. However the Rage is still "strong" enough to turn over some larger heads like my 10' of T-11 or 15' of T-8. This is a very versatile double-handed head. It felt like a beefier, more versatile, Scandinavian head. As I was trying out the head I managed to pick up a resident juvenile/pre-salt steelie on a black leach around the clay heads above Watt. I have been happy with my Rio AFS spey line, but once I buy myself a Rage head I might not use it again just because the Rage is much more versatile.

If you have not yet tried this head yet you should come by Kiene's and we will lend you a few heads to try out for yourself. You never know when you might find your next favorite, or easiest, spey head/line.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    I use a 480 on the 6129 VXP so I suspect the 510 would be nice. I do prefer a little heavier load.
    This rod seemed a bit heavy with the 480, but works well. I have a 450 on mine and it rocks.

I'd like to expand on this line's versatility as a summer/fall steelhead line.

1. This last weekend, there were four rods strung up that we were fishing--three of them had this line.

2. This line was used for dry and wet fly fishing on top with just a mono leader, sub-surface with an intermediate poly leader, and deep with a full sinking tip and an intruder. Fish were caught each and every way with this line.

3. The line was used in a single hand capacity, it was used to swing dry flys close in, as well as a 100' cast down and across to a bucket that fish hold. It excelled in all capacities.

4. This line was fished scandi casting/touch and go as well as sustained anchor. There was no boundaries; it did it all well.

Now, couple things the line WILL NOT do:

1. It floats worth a poop. With a tip, it's like fishing an intermediate head, seriously.

2. Throw heavy sink tips and turn over big flies (this is what a skagit line is for though)

I am a convert, especially not being a good caster and only knowing how to fish in a sustained anchor style. This is my go-to for summer and fall fish for sure.

This pic taken on a river just south of the columbia this last weekend.

We size the Rage in between the Scandi and the Skagit weights for most rods.

Probably just a little lighter than the Skagit weight.

I think you are right on the money with 480.

You can adjust thing a little by using either 10 or 15 foot Poly/Versi leaders too.

Maybe 15 footers on your 13'3".........

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........