Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Airflo "Rage Compact" head is versitile....

Default New Airflo "Rage Compact" head is versitile....

For summer and fall fishing with small to medium size flies this could be your go to line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPyx_ujNcE

http://speyshop.kiene.com/newairfloragecompacthead.aspx
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Used these lines heavily this fall and they rip with small steelhead flies to 3" long string leeches. While they might not be designed for it, they will huck 10' of T-11 on most sizes and work great for lighter sink tip work during the mid day hours when the sun is on the water in the summer/fall. Probably the best all around floating shooting head for summer/fall steelheading. I would call it a Skaginavian line, more of a hybrid than a true floating skagit.

JH
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

I fished this on a single hander, 10', swinging for steelies. Great line for tossing flies.

I will be trying one out next week.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Yesterday morning at Watt Avenue on the Lower American River I got to cast a nice 7 weight Spey rod with a Airflo Rage Compact 480 grn head.

I think that was one of the best casting setups I have cast given that I am not a great Spey caster (yet). It had really good turn over....

I would highly reommend you try a Rage on your two-handed fly rod for summer and fall steelheading with small to medium flies and Poly/Versi leaders.

**For winter steelhead with heavier tips and heavier flies we still think the Skagit setup with Rio MOW tips is the way to go.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene aka "Boca Grande" View Post
    Yesterday morning at Watt Avenue on the Lower American River I got to cast a nice 7 weight Spey rod with a Airflo Rage Compact 480 grn head.

I think that was one of the best casting setups I have cast given that I am not a great Spey caster (yet). It had really good turn over....

I would highly reommend you try a Rage on your two-handed fly rod for summer and fall steelheading with small to medium flies and Poly/Versi leaders.

**For winter steelhead with heavier tips and heavier flies we still think the Skagit setup with Rio MOW tips is the way to go.

Bill, I've cast the Rage 420 now for three sessions on my switch rod. I'm highly impressed with it's abilities to do what it is suppossed to do--handle intermediate of floating leaders and light flies.

I tried a 7ips full sink spey versileader and was not impressed with line, due primarily to it's being too light at the tip IMHO.

I should say that putting on about 15' of a floating mono tapered leader or a 10' intermediate spey versileader the rod really sings.

Question: How much tippet were you adding to your versileaders/polyleaders?

The Rage is a keeper, fished the 450 on a Beulah 7132 and TFO DC 13067, sweet line! 360 is a rocket on the Beulah 6126 but I think a 390 would be perfect for me. Just noticed they are making one down to 300gn, gonna place an order...
    Last edited by golfish; 10-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.

+1 on the Airflo Rage. I've had a few practice sessions using both the 450g and 420g on my 13'4" 7/8 gloomis dredger. So far I'm liking the 420g. The lighter 420 brought the dredger to life.
    Now off to Hwy 299 & 96

Default 6126 sage

I got a 450 g compact rage on my 6126 sage one and. It rocks .....

Got the line. At Kienes after testing it ..... I have so far even gotten it to handle a type 3 mow tip with a weighted salmon fly! No fish this morning but it was able to cover 3/4 of the American River between bridges at sunrise .... the weighted fly was a little much for it but it is nice to know it can handle it in a pinch if I need it ......small soft hackles with versi leaders and 15 of tapered leaders where a joy to cast and it delivered a slow swing .....

Head to Kienes and get a rage head or at least try one ....fyi mine weighed in at 462 when put on a scale .. it also interesting to note that a credit card weighs 26 grains .....

I also tried a 475 Short Skagit by Rio it weighed in at 510 grains ... handled well on the rod... i had it matched with 13 ft of T-11 and a 3 inch egg sucking leach .... rod handled it well
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 10-15-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Default sizing q

Anyone try the Rage on a Sage VXP 7133? I'm thinking the 480, having used a 510 Skagit Compact with this rod most of the time, but Airflo seems to recommend a 510 Rage (and a 540 Skagit Compact). Thanks for any input.