Thread: Shameless begging!

Default Shameless begging!

Alright, I know when to admit I know nothing, though my philosophy has primarily been "fake it till you make it". I have been hittin the east/north-east delta every chance I get in search of stripers to try and figure this game out. With all the gas Ive burned Ive landed one little shaker so far when in actuality I was targeting LMB. I need some tips, anything, a starting point. From one fly flinger to another I admit defeat (so far) and ask for help from those who know!

Ill be headed out after work to rio vista as some buddies of mine did well with trolling gear last night, But all I got out of them is a location, not what is actually instigating a productive day, I guess Ill just take mental notes of structure, tide/flow, depth and temp. Am I on the right track here?

Thumbs up Stripahs....

OK,.... You've been putting in the hours at the right times () and that hasn't worked. It sounds like you're considering all of the right stuff.... So, if none of that has worked, yet, I'd recommend you book a day with a good good Striper guide. That'll shorten the learning curve and cut down on the gas burned by your current effort. Try Delta Adventures (Mark Brown) in Stockton or Delta Stripers (Jerry Neuberger) in Lodi. Both have websites for current info/rates, etc. If the cost is too high, consider a half day or sharing a trip. If you're paying attention, you'll learn more in a day than a month by yourself without help.

Good luck!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Icastnblast check your P.M.
    HATCH

Icast, if you are just starting to target delta stripers try not to get too frustrated, the delta striped bass bite overall is just not what it used to be even a few years ago. Most of the well know money spots just don't produce consistent numbers and size of fish anymore, you will have to put in some time and miles to locate fish and some pattern to "get in to em" these days. Even the delta vets are working hard for their fish, kinda sad considering. I would give you some gps coordinates but my son who is usually on top of things when it comes to finding fish is struggling these days including our "hot spots". Hang in there they will be back.
    Last edited by Dabalone; 03-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Hey Icastnblast check your P.M.
    HATCH
    I don't know what's in that PM, but I do know that you need to pay attention to it. Maury knows his stuff.

Default A little advice

I'm far from mastering stripers but I've been having luck fishing pumps lately. If you can find any pumps blasting out during the outgoing tides that seems to be key. When I find these pumps, I've been hooking up right where the pumped water meets delta water (right up next to shore basically). The other main types of structure I really focus on are levee breaks. Levee breaks are huge for me. And areas where shallow tidal marshes/lakes empty out during the outgoing tide. Fishing docs can be productive as well sometimes. Using google earth to scout for structure helps out too. Hope this little bit helps.
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

Fish are moving it now for the spring spawn.This time of year i target tule points and breaks around sand bars next to deep water.I know of fish from 10 to 36# caught and released in the last week.Will not give up thier spots,but it's on..

Most of the Striper population is going to be heading up north to around Colusa, California on the Sacramento Rvier to spawn in April/May.

I recommend going out with some of the top Striper guides to learn something about the fishery.

Try Mike Costello, Dan Blanton, Marc Brown, Andy Guibord, Steve Santucci, and Maury Hatch......

You can Google all of them.....put in their name and then "fly fishing guide".

**I have been very fortunate to have been able to fish with most all these great guys.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........