Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swinging two flies for Steelhead?

Default Swinging two flies for Steelhead?

Using two flies while swinging, fishing traditionally for Steelhead, is getting more popular.

Years ago my old friend Craig Ziegler was one of the first I saw doing this for Steelhead in the Lower American River.

A few years ago while fishing with Mike McCune of www.SpeyWater.com guide service on the lower Grande Rhonde I saw they like two flies at times too.

In the past few years we have seen people swinging two flies, one larger fly then one smaller one behind it for American Shad.

I guess the bigger fly attracts them and the little fly gets them?

Have any of you been trying this?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Swinging two flies

I've never tried swinging two flies for steelhead but might give it a try. On the other hand I've been swinging two for shad for thirty years and it's not unusual at all to have doubles on the way thay chase each other when hooked. Two big females feel like a big bag filled with water when you're trying to land them. Always have to be careful of the second hook when your landing a single.

Couple weeks ago after the smolt "hatch" I did this and got about five lil ones on various buggy patterns--and a ton of grabs.

Didn't matter if it was the top or bottom bug-if it was buggy and caddis'y they hit it.

I've done it for years up on the Klamath. Always the same setup. Wollybugger and an egg pattern dropper.
    Get to whats reel

Summer and spring steelies I use this 2 fly method. Usually a leech pattern for the upper fly with a soft hackle dropper. For shad I use a traditional shad fly on the upper with a soft hackle dropper. In my experience ,80% of the time the fish takes the bottom bug.

How do you set up your 2 fly rig when swinging? Just tie the 2nd fly to the hook bend? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    How do you set up your 2 fly rig when swinging? Just tie the 2nd fly to the hook bend? Thanks.
    Yep, and don't use a loop knot for the first bug, but rather for the second.

JJ, yes I just tie it to the bend of the hook of the top fly. I like to use a stiffer mono to the bottom fly just to help avoiding line fouling on the upper fly. When swinging flies and even nymphing use a non slip loop knot like a rapala knot.This will allow your bugs to move more naturally with the pulses of the currents. Just throwing the knot thing out there, but you probably already know that.

When I lived in SLC 20 years ago, my brother turned me on the 2 fly system and have been using it ever since. I had to go single when learning how to Spey cast, but now have the 2 fly system down. Bigger fly always first and 80%+++ the dropper takes the hit. NITRO CADDIS!!!
    When fishing the upper rivers (NFA, SFA, Rubicon, etc...) my first fly is a dry fly, then a size 18 to 20 hairs-ear, prince or my new best friend, The Nitro Caddis

Frank

http://www.flyfishusa.com/newsletter/100205/

Was pretty effective on the Trinity last year...
    >>>
    >>>

"No. I uh... I put... uh... Why, you buying?"
    -Roy Munson

http://www.sac-sierratu.org/