Thread: tying dropper to shank or eye of other fly

Default tying dropper to shank or eye of other fly

Kind of a spin off topic from the two nymph thread. Do you guys/gals tie your dropper fly to the shank or the eye of the first fly. (the fly closest to your fly line)

I use to only tie to the eye, because it seemed more likely to hook a fish that way, but the past few years I've only tied to the shank. Can't really say which was more successful.

Geez, at my age I have enough trouble threading one tippet through the eye. Two would be almost impossible for me. Not sure it really makes much difference, though. I've caught fish on both the upper and the lower.

Harlan

ive only ever rigged to the bend of the hook.....never any issues

Lately there has been a surge of guides fishing their droppers off the eye of the hooks. The main reason is that when fishing 2 and 3 fly rigs(mostly 3)the dropper flies are likely to get hooked one way or another to the fish or debris in the water. The likelyhood of losing a fish is decreased when there is nothing pulling on the bend of the fly in the fishes mouth.

I messed around with this a bit, but found that the rigs are harder for beginners to button up when there are a few hooks dangling at a 90 degree angle to get caught on your fly line....and your fingers.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

I always tie my top fly to the tag end of a blood or surgeons knot. Theres several advantages to this. One of which being, if you snag and lose the top fly, you dont lose both flies.