Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two Nymph Rig - Effectiveness???

read this. do it. catch fish. repeat
    http://midcurrent.com/knots/seeing-double/

why 2 when you can go 3 in most rivers?

for most tailwaters, my go to fly is a black or purple zebra midge.

i was out fishn sunday and the wind wasnt too bad....so i used a 3 fly set up. Brass head zebra size 18 on the top...caught 50% of my fish. A blk body rainbow warrior as my middle, got 25% of my fish on it. And a sz 20 bars emerger on the body, and my other 25% were caught on it. All 3 flies were hits w/ the fish. If its really windy i'll use a 2 fly rig for less tangle ups. It just depends on where im fishn and the weather conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    read this. do it. catch fish. repeat
    http://midcurrent.com/knots/seeing-double/
    I think snagging the bend of the hook with a uni-knot (Duncan loop) is heck of a lot easier (and 3x as fast) than messing with an improved clinch.

Simply tie a uni-knot on one end of a piece tippet and attach the point fly to the other end. Loop the uni-knot over the bend of the upper fly, wet leader (don't hook your tongue, like someone I know) and snug down. Done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	4375  

I'll nearly always go with a slightly larger (12-16, depending on river) beadhead fly (usually a dark lord or caddis) with a small (18ish) mayfly or soft hackle below, generally connected at the bend of the hook with a clinch knot. It's easy to adjust this based on the season, river, and weather, and switch to a big stone or Oct. caddis, etc., but there is always something small riding shotgun.

On the other hand, a single fly can probably be high-sticked then swung in the same cast more effectively.

Vast majority, maybe 75%, come on the bottom fly if I have two on, but that's also probably based on the way I fish - often high-sticking, rarely indicatoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I think snagging the bend of the hook with a uni-knot (Duncan loop) is heck of a lot easier (and 3x as fast) than messing with an improved clinch.

Simply tie a uni-knot on one end of a piece tippet and attach the point fly to the other end. Loop the uni-knot over the bend of the upper fly, wet leader (don't hook your tongue, like someone I know) and snug down. Done.
    The trick to doing fast clinch knots for droppers is spinning the fly youre attaching tippet to, rather then wrapping the tippet around the standing line. Count the number of bumps to match however many you normally get when you do your clinch on the eye, then in the loop and back out. Takes maybe, 5-6 seconds to do a clinch this way once you get it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan LeCount View Post
    The trick to doing fast clinch knots for droppers is spinning the fly youre attaching tippet to, rather then wrapping the tippet around the standing line. Count the number of bumps to match however many you normally get when you do your clinch on the eye, then in the loop and back out. Takes maybe, 5-6 seconds to do a clinch this way once you get it down.
    I get spinning the fly part, I never wrap the line. What slows me to a crawl, especially in the dark or with cold hands, is sticking the leader in the loop and then back out and under the tag. You also have to pull the knot in three directions to cinch.
    With the uni knot, there is no hunting for the hole and it is done entirely by feel so old guy vision or darkness don't enter the picture. It also cinches perfectly every time with a single tug on the line.