Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Nymph Rig - Effectiveness???

Default Two Nymph Rig - Effectiveness???

How many people catch fish on the first nymph in a two nymph rig?

I have never had a fish hit the first nymph and I am wondering how many people see this as effective.

Very effective!!

I have to admit I usually catch more fish on the bottom nymph, but only by about 60:40 ratio. The best thing it allows is to zero in on which fly is working.

I always...always...always fish two when fishing nymphs deep under an indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Very effective!!

I have to admit I usually catch more fish on the bottom nymph, but only by about 60:40 ratio. The best thing it allows is to zero in on which fly is working.

I always...always...always fish two when fishing nymphs deep under an indicator.
    I'm right there with Woodman... I very seldom if ever fish a single nymph.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

pretty much only use one nymph if I'm swinging flies. Fish definitely key in on the last fly, probably because it doesn't have fishing line coming off both ends, but I still catch on the first fly as well.

keep in mind, that your first fly is often used as an alternative to split shot when not fishing too deep/fast.

Ditto...usualy one when swinging flies, or fishing a nymph just below the surface during a hatch

I catch 90% on the top fly. Its usually my biggest, heaviest nymph. Its also usually my "go-to" nymph. The trailer is the one I experiment with and switch up alot.

When our guide friend Fred Gordon in Dunsmuir takes out two clients in the day time he set them up with 4 different nymphs (2 per person) to see what is working then he switches around depending on the results.

*I think there must be some distraction or attraction factor to two nymphs coming down into the fish at once.

**I think that fishing two nymphs is the standard today in freestone streams.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I catch about 60% top fly and 40% on my dropper. I usually use a heavier and larger fly on the top, it is usually a fly that I have much confidence in too. I then use a lighter more natural looking pattern as my dropper. Two flies is very effective but it can makes tangles and much larger messes. If you are new to casting just use one fly and then move towards two flies once you start to feel more comfortable with casting a nymphing rig.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Ditto Also if one is producing all the fish I will at times change out and use two of the same. This can be productive because now you have a working fly at two levels of the water column.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace View Post
    but it can makes tangles and much larger messes.
    A good reason to practice your knots if you're a begnner as well. It's often much faster to cut it all apart and re-rig. A split shot, two beadhead flies, and an indicator, all flying in different directions at different rates can make a helluva mess.