Thread: Late Steelhead trip to the Klamath

Default Late Steelhead trip to the Klamath

Planning on heading to the Klamath this coming Sunday for 3 days. Is any section of the river likely to hold more Steelhead than another at this time?

Any recommended places to camp as well?

I have never fished the Klamath so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

This time of year you're gonna want to be fishing the upper upper stretch, from Iron Gate Dam down to the I-5 rest stop.

Give this a look

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26461

It probably wouldnt hurt to send Craig an email either, he's got the Klamath dialed.

Good luck

Steelie-Stalker, thanks for the information and the link that was a good read, didn't locate it in my search since I only searched the Salmon/Steelhead section.

I'd like to fish with Craig next season for sure. I've read a great article/interview with him on Cal Trout.

Default Drop a line regarding the Klamath

Ryder:
    Thanks for recommending Bwag drop me a line.
    Bwag: Give me a ring tomorrow or Thursday, I'll be in the office preparing my taxes, it would be nice to have a break and chat about fishing.

BTW: I've been on the Klamath a few days in the last week and it continues to fish well. The river is in good shape and some fresh, bright steelies have arrived and they are hot! Hope you make it up soon.
    Craig Nielsen

Craig thanks for responding! I will definitely call Thursday as I start work late that day and won't be distracted.

I was looking at the flows on the Klamath out of Iron Gate and it showed a spike from 1,400 c.f.s. to like 33,000 c.f.s. for a short period today. Is that accurate? Anybody know what's up with that?

Default Klamath flows & Wading

Bubzilla:
    Looks like just a gliche. Flows out of Irongate have been steady @ 1400 cfs. Klamath has been fishing well with some fresh steelhead just arriving. I hope you can make it up! Feel free to ring for details!
    Craig Nielsen