Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching someone to fly cast

Default Teaching someone to fly cast

I'd welcome suggestions for books or online videos that are effective tools for teaching a college-aged person how to cast a fly rod. I tried teaching someone today and don't think I was very effective. The books at my local shop were pretty random -- mostly about gear and other topics for beginners and only a bit on casting.

I understand there are great resources in N. CA for classes -- I'm just looking for a good guide to learning how to fly cast that I can use to figure out how to teach someone.

YouTube has a bizarre collection of titles -- perhaps I missed an effective one.

Thanks,

__Roy

Mel Krieger put out some good videos...Bill should be able to help you...

Thumbs up Fly Casting....

Curtis Creek Manifesto. Covers the basics, easy read and fun. Everything for the beginner....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I agree that the Krieger material is the best I've found so far. I purchased a large-format picture book of his that looks like it might help. Thanks.

Mel Krieger videos are very good.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I'm with Darian on the Curtis Creek Manifesto. I've started half a dozen or so fly fishers with that little book. Read it myself when I started. It explains a lot more than you'd expect from a book of it's size and format.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

There is a Mel Kreiger You Tube video that is good.

Another vote for Mel Krieger videos (and books). By far the best casting instruction produced.

Default Fly Casting Tips

I agree with both Mel Krieger's books (especially the Essence of Fly Casting) & DVD on casting single-handed fly rods. To a far lesser extent, altough useful, the Curtis Creek Manifesto. Below, I'm suggesting that the below may be useful:

“Pro-Tips” from Sierra Fisherman Summer 2010:

“…brief snippets of advice from experienced, professional fly anglers.”

The current topic is a “tip” to make a single-handed fly rod angler a more proficient fly caster. The contributing pros are providing advice on one’s casting motion that may help some fly anglers or already known to others. Nevertheless, you may glean something useful.

Dating myself; if someone asked me to mention the first three fly casting luminaries that come to my mind; it would be would be Mel Krieger, Joan Wullf and Frank “Lefty” Krey. Each had/have different concepts/methods of fly casting…from a single-handed rod perspective. The same applies to our current contributors; some who already may be, this generation’s casting “gurus”.

Frank R. Pisciotta

We all have experienced that loud popping noise on the back-cast like the cracking of a whip. We call it the $2 cast, because that is how much the fly you just lost cost you. The $2 cast is most commonly caused by a combination of a whimpy back-cast and an over-powered forward casting stroke; the line floats back like an overcooked piece spaghetti and then is abruptly powered forward, often resulting in a fractured leader.

The cure for the $2 cast is a crisp, efficient stop on the back-cast with a firm wrist. This stop will drive the line behind you with more energy, effectively loading the rod before you begin your forward stroke. Once you have a strong back-cast and the rod is loaded, you can do almost anything and still get the line out…without popping-off your fly!

Michael Caranci

This one is easy for me! Sloooooooow Down.
    If I am struggling with my casting control, or I find my line is getting tangled, consciously slowing down my rod movements really gets me back on track. Fly fishing teaches patience and fly casting requires the right tempo, among other things. If you want to improve your casting, try these other tips, but remember to do them slow. The rod works better, you work better, and you will find that your accuracy, distance, and fly fishing will really improve.

Kristen Lyle

The tip that I share more than any other is to simply send your back-cast up and back, instead of back and down, behind you. Imagine that there is a large bush in back of you that you need your line to clear by sending your back-cast up and over it. A good way to practice this is to stop your back-cast with your thumb pointed straight up to the sky, at the 12:00 position. If at first it feels like you aren’t going back far enough, then you are doing it right. The result of this tip, besides clearing brush, is that it gets the rod working for you for better forward cast accuracy and more control in the wind. It works!

Jamie Lyle

With spring upon us trout will become increasingly active and hungry but getting them to eat the flies we painstakingly tied over the winter in the high flows of spring can be a challenge. One of the most effective techniques is to nymph fish with tandem flies. Add a split shot or two and perhaps an indicator and casting can become a chore.
    The solution is the inglorious but simple and highly effective water haul. The cast begins with the flies downstream on the dangle with the rod tip lower than your hand and pointed at the flies. Next lift the rod tip into the casting position while bringing the flies and shot to the surface. Turn your head to look at your target and lob your flies with a rainbow arc of the rod tip forming and open loop, flinging the flies upstream and across without tangles! I call this casting tip the Spring Fling: Lift, Look & Lob.

Craig Neilsen

Many casting problems such as tailing loops, the leader not turning over properly or the fly line and leader splashing the water on the presentation, occur when the rod tip does not maintain the stop position on the back-cast as the loop turns over. It is common that while waiting for the loop on the back-cast to turn-over, the rod tip drifts forward; referred to as “creeping”. This “creeping” can diminish the forward stroke length resulting in a loss of energy. To solve this problem, practice casting and watch your tip. By watching it you’ll be more likely to keep the tip at the stopping position. With a bit of practice you will not have to look at the tip and your presentations will improve.

Jeff Putnam
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 03-19-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Jeff Putman is an excellent casting instructor, after watching a video like Kriegers hire Jeff for an hour or so, that should help greatly. The video will give the student a general understanding but a one-on-one lesson will build the muscle memory and help correct problems before they develop into bad habits. It is much better to start out with good casting mechanics than it is to develop bad mechanics and have to grind through correcting them gradually after the bad habits have been formed and reinforced.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member