Thread: Spring break in hawaii

Default Spring break in hawaii

Aloha, just back from Halape on the big island of hawaii. I went on the nine mile hike with my son and a couple of his friends. Sorry no pictures, one of the boys had an underwater camera and got some great shots, but it floated out of his pocket while diving for lobster. It was a good time and I caught papio every day to feed the boys. First day was a nice 8lb bluefinned trevally. It was a real battle and a wave helped wash the fish into a tide pool so I could land it. We had a real adventure living off the land and sea for a couple of days, fish, opihi and lobster. The hike out and up 5,000 feet was a bitch but it is a very personally rewarding adventure. Along the trail are piles of rocks, ahu to mark your way. It is a nice metaphor for life to find your way on a difficlult path. Sometimes you have to just stop and look for the way to go and it will come to you. If you are ever in the pacific sailing and find a camera floating then you will be able to see the pictures. Next time I keep my own camera in my pocket. Hope you all had a good spring break, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Great story Don! An 8# bft would stoke my socks off! Living off the land and sea in Hawaii.... Cant get much better. And leading our youth in the lifestyle... Strong work!

Nice to hear that you had a nice trip Don
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Don,

I've been thinking about a vacation to Hawaii or I should say the family is trying to talk me into a Hawaiian vacation. I left the islands in '62 and can't imagine what it looks like now.
    They thought Waikiki was a concrete jungle back then but after seeing Waikiki in some commercials, I don't think you would see the sun in between buildings.
    I'd love to see the PIPE again. I surfed it when I was a young kid, now at 65 I might try it if the swell was 5' and not 20'. I got plenty of battle wounds from the coral reef

Do they still tea-leaf slide?

Jay