Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing San Diego Bay

Default Fly Fishing San Diego Bay

Fished San Diego Bay with Guide Peter Piconi last Saturday (got home from SD late Tue). Had a great day on the Bay with Peter. Fish were tough but he managed to find me 10 Spotted Bay Bass by running all over the Bay. I learned alot from Peter and hope to fish with him again. I highly recommend him if one is going to fish the salt in San Diego. Here are a few pics. The successful fly for the day was a chartreuse Broski Bonefish Slider. The fish were very finicky. Not the hard "thumps" one expects of salt water fish, but it was more like subtle nymph fishing.

Also fooled around Mission Bay some without much luck. But I wasn't there at the right time and tides. (had to work around wife's schedule for enjoying SD )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	4258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	4259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	4260  

I really love that place, I hope to be there when the fishing is really good. I have heard incredible stories of tons of fish caught. Glad you had a good time Jimmy.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Very cool pics! That is one heck of a nice lookn fish.

Thanks Scott, yes a great time. I would love to be there when the fishing is really good too!!

gangster, thanks . They were all about the same size give or take an inch. But really fun and full of fight. A truly fun day. Not to mention the cool factor of catching fish in sight of high rises and aircraft carriers. We also fished off the Navy SEALS training area and housing

SD Bay fishing is so much fun! I think you have to wait a little for the WT to hit 60. I fished Newport Bay which is similar two weeks ago and got Mackeral near the surface on light gear with I line. Saw a decent flounder caught too, but the better fishing was out of the bay near the Wedge. No sandies for me, didn't see any caught.

San Diego Bay is better. It has some nice shallow flats whereas Newport Bay is all dredged. The ocean is usually very flat out of Newport Bay though and I'd have no problem taking my new to me 12' skiff offshore a mile or two in calm weather and that opens up a lot of opportunities! San Diego is a little rougher outside the Bay.

We should do a group caravan for SoCal fishing sometime. There are probably enough of us who have done it that we could get folks set up. It's not hard and a total blast!

It was fun. But I agree it would be more fun when it is warmer. A caravan would be fun1

By the way sure like your new skiff. Very unique craft. Gave me some ideas for my small bass boat. Not sure I would be willing to take it out in the salt though.

Take Care,

Jimmie

Unless you have a low side jon boat, you can take about anything outside Newport Bay with flat seas. It was more calm than Folsom Lake during the summer when I was out. I had a 14' Carolina Skiff that was restricted to the bay, but I took it out anyway. No difference in early AM between the bay and the ocean. Can't say I've seen that in San Diego though. You can generally travel out to Pt. Loma safely; beyond that I'd want something larger.

Mission Bay fishing, I don't know. That's so protected you could use an inflatable but I've never fished it and can't find much on it. I think flounder would be there?

Hey Jimmie, great pics and info. I think you just helped us decide which college my daughter will attend next year as we have been debating between Whitworth in Spokane and Point Loma in San Diego....not that being able to fish while visiting is everything...but it does matter! Thanks.
    Have a good time, all the time.

Say hey Jimmie,

As you well know Spotted Bay Bass are one of my absolute favorite gamefish. The San Diego Bay and Mission Bay complex is hands down one of my most enjoyable habitats to explore. It's now going on "many decades"... Oh my gosh! Every year I make it a goal to get down south and get on those waters (as much as possible).

I'm glad to see you had such a fun time. Peter is one of the best in the biz in my opinion.

See you pretty soon at Kiene's Fair.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!