Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simms Guide Boot/streamtread Review

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    I wasn't hating on Simms, just Simms' boot soles. The rest of the boot is great and one of the more comfortable boots I've worn (save for the old style guide boots after they had been broken in and soaking wet for a month or so; just like a pair of slippers). That's one of the reasons I am cranky about it. I want my comfy boots to have the soles stay on! Sooo, they are headed back to Simms to see what they can do.

It seems like some of the boots got glued correctly and others did not because I have seen different levels of delamination in the same boot model and year.

I'll have to try popping in the studs with some adhesive next time. Seems like it works well.

Mike
    Request that the replace them with studded felt and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn kempkes View Post
    Request that the replace them with studded felt and be done with it.
    That's my (sinister) plan.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Default Unfortunately, I need vibram for certain places...

...namely, States where felt is not allowed....and I can't be glueing in the studs, since I need to occasionally take them out for float trips (in other people's craft, rentals, that don't allow studs):

Honestly - I too think Simms makes the best fitting and, until recently, the longest lasting wading boots in the industry. But whatever technical issues are causing the delamination problem, Simms needs to solve it. Vibram soles just have to stay on, and by that I mean completely on (no flaps dangling at the toe) for the life of the sole, alot longer than 3-6 days of use I've been getting.

I'm not going to mess with glue and nails keep soles of wading shoes on. Back to Simms they will go. I'll let you know the results of pair #3 after the next exchange.

I must say that I have had a great experience with my Simm's Rivershed boots from 2008, which was the first year, and they still had the studded Aquastealth soles. They have held up great with 4 seasons of use and they are comfortable and stable. I almost most always use a staff and they are great while hiking in to fish, especially with snow on the ground during steelhead season. Probably the weakest link are the laces, which lasted a couple of years for me.

Default Get the Rivershed Boots

The new rivershed boots are a little cheaper than the new guide boots and are very comfortable and durable. Make sure to buy star cleats and install them before use. I put five cleats in the front and three in the back. I now feel like a gecko on glass. Install the cleats on the outer portion of the sole with one in the middle.

I don't know what the problem is with others boots, but I have sent old Guide boots back to Simms and they have sent me a brand new pair of boots. My old boots were like 3 years old and they had they the round dot rubber soles with studs built in. The new Rivershed boots with Star Cleats are way better for gripping slippery rocks on the Stan, Upper Sac, Yuba and Pit. Wade with confidence!!!

if your soles are just coming off, that is most assuredly a defect.

ive been wearing the same boots for almost 28 months and i fish alot.

i decided it was time to replace my boots not because the soles were coming off, but because the soles looked like a shoe equivalent to racing slicks.

Update:

Simms has replaced the defective-soled boots. They sent me another pair of rubber soled boots so we'll see if they were glued correctly.

Also, if anyone wants to trade a brand-new sz 12 Freestone boot with Vibram soles for a brand new pair of the felt models, lemme know.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyoublues View Post
    My freestones have held up for 4 months of fishing 3 or 4 times a week and they are still in good shape. The vibram is a little worn but I think they grip better once they are a bit scuffed (no science behind that one though). The uppers have held up very well. I'm usually really tough on footwear and gear in general.
    I never used simms studs instead I have unbranded ones from the local shop that have held up better then I expected. I am going to change them soon but for a bit less then 10 dollars for the whole bunch that's ok.

I'm not a huge fan of Simms in general and don't expect to buy many more of their products in the future but these boots have been ok to me. I just wanted to chime in with another opinion.

That being said I'm getting some patagonia riverwalker's for my next boot. I really like those. And I'm going back to felt.
    Well I have to amend this post I made a bit ago. My under 5 month freestones have the stream-tred sole peeling off on both boots. Planning on sending them to simms on monday. Hopefully the turn around is quick.
    Looks like I'm going to have to buy another pair of boots for the season opener.

Default first update - Simms streamtread review - round 3 is +

The third pair of guide boots with streamtread has made it through the first 10 days of fishing without any peeling; more than the first two pairs. I will post a second update after more use....

Any more updates? I will be working out a pair of Riversheds this season. Gonna try the alumabites on them. I will have my Pat. Riverwalkers with felt/stud combo with me too just in case.