Thread: Winter Creeks

Default Winter Creeks

I love to fish smaller rivers and streams. Unfortunately, after fall there is few choices. Does anyone have suggestions other than Putah?

Thanks

If you find one let me know!
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Hey BigSmallFly(why the moniker, got a funny name?), here's one in the hills west of Maxwell. From the DFG regs.

Stony Creek

(A) From the headwaters downstream to the diversion dam west of Stonyford in the center of Section 35, T18N, R7W, except the portion of Stony Creek Middle Fork from Red Bridge upstream. Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15. 5 per day
    10 in possession

Nov. 16 through the Friday preceding the last Saturday in April. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. 0

Ed
    Last edited by Ed Wahl; 03-10-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: senility
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Yep.

You didn't mention how far you would travel... but there are a lot of good winter creeks around the Eastside of the Sierra!

The Gorge, Hot Creek, Lower Owens (small river) to name a few...
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

Default Do some research

Talk to the folks in the fly shops!! Buy some flies. There are spots out there that have very hungry fish right now!

Default head east

I'd say head east this time of year, although with this spring like winter we're having I would expect that the fishing should be picking up over here on the west side right now. I know it's not a "creek" or even a smaller river, but I do kind of use the south fork of the american river as a bit of a personal gauge (it's my closest water). I've had a bit more success there as of late, which is a really positive sign that spring is here.

Otherwise Dave's suggestions are really good ones if you don't mind a bit of a drive...
    JB

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information, when I get the time, I do travel to the Eastern Side of the Sierra's. I love it.

I live in Sac. and am looking for a river I can fish for trout in the winter for half day trips. When I have the full weekend, I head to Bridgeport. I'm fat, and I love to fish the midges (hence big guy small fly), fall is the greatest.