Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to match the underwater current

Default How to match the underwater current

I've been pretty much dwelling on this lately. Since the surface water is typically flowing at a higher rate then the water where the fish are, what can you do to match that speed. (particularly when indicator nymphing)

Some people have moved away from a tapered leaders when indicator nymphing, towards one straight piece of mono. The fat tapered end of tapered leaders can act like a sail and "catch" the higher current speed at the top of the water column, resulting in drag, or pulling the fly faster than the current . A thinner straight piece of mono will allow the faster currents on top will flow easier around without creating more drag and allow your fly to drift at speeds closer to the bottom current speed.

You can also mend and control your fly line as well as possible. Mending is very important. Some of the best nymphers that I know, like Hogan Brown, have learned to control their fly lines so well that the majority of their drifts match the current speed more often which results in better presentation and more chances for a fish to bite.

If you combine a better leader system and more control over your fly line then I bet you will see a great improvement in your nymphing technique.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Ditto to what adam said. Mending is the key, and the straight mono from the indicator is a big help too. If there's nothing near the surface (indi or butt end of leader) pulling the flies downstream they will be much more likely to drift naturally.

Also, don't worry about picking up your indicator a little when you mend. Better to move the flies a couple of inches at depth one time in the interests of removing all the drag from line and indicator.

Another tip a guide taught me, when indicator fishing from a drift boat, set the hook downstream...i.e. in the direction the flies are moving past the fish. Pretty simple when you think about it. Really improved my hookups one day.

thanks guys. I probably need to just go fishing so I can stop thinking about all my flaws, but this is good advice.

I bought a dvd at the show in pleasanton. They stuck a rod into the river standing straight up with a bunch of ribbons tied to it. As the depth increased the ribbons were less effected by the current. Then, at the bottom, the ribbons were actually drifting in the opposite direction...straight up stream. And this was in a section of river that from above, looked like all would be flowing down river. Totally freaked me out for some reason

Going out once and while with a top fly fishing guide is one way to really learn a lot.

I was out some time back on the Lower Yuba River with guide Keith Kaneko and I learned some things from him that were very important.

Much of what I have learned was from fishing with anglers and guides who were much better than myself....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    thanks guys. I probably need to just go fishing so I can stop thinking about all my flaws, but this is good advice.

I bought a dvd at the show in pleasanton. They stuck a rod into the river standing straight up with a bunch of ribbons tied to it. As the depth increased the ribbons were less effected by the current. Then, at the bottom, the ribbons were actually drifting in the opposite direction...straight up stream. And this was in a section of river that from above, looked like all would be flowing down river. Totally freaked me out for some reason
    The slower the current, the finer the substrate. In still water the bottom is silt or sand and in fast water the bottom is cobbles or boulders. Look for abrupt changes in the color or size of stuff on the river bed. This is a FAR better indicator of what the river is doing down there than looking for seams, eddies, etc on the surface.

What was the name of the video? I'd like to check it out.

Ralph it's part of a series of DVD's called "The Underwater World of Trout" and this particular DVD is titled "Feeding Lies"

http://www.underwateroz.com/pg3_feeding_lies.html

Frankly, it's completely twisted my brain around and now I feel like I have to change everything even though I catch fish. I picked up several other DVD's from the series and they're all extremely informative.

Thanks for the advice

Not nearly as good as bugs of the underworld though

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Not nearly as good as bugs of the underworld though
    Ha! Thanks.
    I've enjoyed Ozzie's stuff. Wish he would find another narrator though . We used to do the flagging on a stick drill in our classes. It gives a pretty graphic representation of what those currents are doing through the water column and why it can be so friggin hard to get a drag free drift with a nymph.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Ha! Thanks.
    I've enjoyed Ozzie's stuff. Wish he would find another narrator though . We used to do the flagging on a stick drill in our classes. It gives a pretty graphic representation of what those currents are doing through the water column and why it can be so friggin hard to get a drag free drift with a nymph.
    I have to agree that the narration is really bad. It would be a huge upgrade to get someone with a little energy. ah well