LIVING IN NAIROBI

Word on the street is that East Cape fishing is lighting up. Dorado and striped marlin are starting to show in good numbers off shore a few miles south of Punta Arena Light house. Only a boat or two have been out there most days and are consistently having success. In shore sierra mackerel continue to bite with El Cardonal area producing the most action. Just a couple miles off the beach in Buena Vista quality sized yellowtail have made a showing. Live bait is key to get the yellows going. I was out there yesterday morning and had a hard time making bait. It took until 8:30 to finally catch a mackerel. After pinning it on and pitching it out it only took a 5 minutes to hang a 25 pound yellowtail. Unfortunately I forgot my camera but we had some great sashimi last night.

The weather is changing and we are now getting as many calm days as windy ones. I've put away my Ugg boots and we are not needing the fire place to warm our home. We are going to put Jen Wren in tomorrow for the first trips of the season and see what we can stir up.

Back in 92 I was in LA for a long weekend and wanted to pick up a spear gun that had been advertised in a skindiving magazine. It was frustrating calling dive shop after shop to find nobody had one in stock. Finally talking to a shop owner I explained where we live, why I wanted that particular gun and asked why nobody in the Los Angeles area stocked them. He said sir, where you are living is like Nairobi and we just don't get calls for elephant guns. That reply has always stuck with me and is a very good description of the East Cape.

The areas we fish everyday on the Sea of Cortez have produced 1,000 pound marlin, cow yellowfin tuna in excess of 300 pounds and yes, the "gladiator of the sea" broadbill swordfish. We may not get a shot at these trophies every day but the possibility is always there. For just this reason we keep an elephant gun rigged and ready on both Jen Wren boats. When the opportunity for a trophy of a lifetime arises there is no fumbling around for the right gear. We just grab the stick that is prepared and always within short reach for the occasion.

I love breaking out the big guns.

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
US cell 310 308 5841