Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S.H.I.T.'ing in Oregon

Default Food for Thought

I'd like to thank all of the contributors to this thread for their thoughtful and informative input. It's funny how many different opinions are displayed here. The bottom line is that after 3 failed marriages, I think I've finally found a keeper...we'll see. The Bay Area IS NOT my first choice of places to live, but being wth her is. As mentioned, OR is (possibly) MY first choice of locales, but the gf wouldn't be happy there, and then neither would I. I'm in Gold Beach today, in a cheap motel researching the possibilities up here. Damn, it's cold outside! But, where I live, at 4,600 feet, it's often below freezing at night, but it's a dry cold Anyhow, we'll see. Even if I live in the Bay Area, I'll be 9 hours or less from some damned good steelheading and trouting. Living so close to Mexico, most of us drive 9.5 miles to the San Juan River in New Mexico or to Southern Colorado when we want to get in some decent fishing. I'm accustomed to long drives. Let's just hope that gasoline prices fall!

Default Geeez

you have too many requirements for what you're looking to do.
    It's Oregon for _____ sake.
    there's only a half dozen cites over 100k population.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

do you mean that you are not going to get rich enough to live happily ever after with your book and subsequet guest speaking appearances for the , "Jig Fishing for Steelhead" tour? Perhaps you can supplement it by teaching some photography classes at a local JC...good class title would be "How to photograph and post Facebook photo of every steelhead you catch." OK that might be too long for a class title but it could be in the course catalog.

BTW Bruce I still think Chico is a great choice but as I have said before you cannot live with me...

BT

Not at all, Digger. I've got 3 to visit and good input on this thread. I'm just looking for the best for my needs...and Hunting Dog...BITE ME dog!

you know i am just jealous...it is not fair that a guy that lives in arizona is getting more steelheading in than me.

This is an old thread. But, I've just now found it.

Previously to living in the Portland area, I lived in the San Fran bay area. Here are the pluses and minuses of each place:

Portland area
    ==========
    + Less expensive to live
    + Year around steelheading within an hour (I fished the Clackamas and Sandy river both yesterday).
    + Actual steelhead, not half pounders.
    + Trees, lakes and rivers everywhere.
    + Did I say easy access to steelheading? I can be in the river fishing excellent water in 10 minutes. You could easily do the same and still be near Portland.
    + Better place to raise kids imo (if that is in your plans).
    + Can actually afford land.
    + Skiing/winter sports within an hour if you do that too.
    + Deschutes, Sandy, Klickitat, Clackamas, and about a bazillion other rivers within a couple of hours (North Umpqua just a bit further).

- I like rain. But if you don't, you will hate it during the winter.
    - Gets colder
    - People can't seem to drive around here.
    - Generally get paid less for the same work you would do in San Fran

San Fran bay area
    ==============
    + Warmer, sunnier
    + More stuff to do if you like city life
    + fishing within a reasonable distance for trout or half pounders.
    + Skiing/winter sports within a few to 5 hours

- Driving up to the Trinity or Klamath for decent steelhead gets old. The American/feather isn't that far away. But the season is short.
    - Expensive
    - Half pounders
    - Dry and brown in the summer
    - crowded

I do miss California weather and just the general vibe. But the fishing doesn't compare. I convinced my wife to move up here. She was firmly planted in SF. Maybe you can do the same. Keep working on her!!

Last edited by speyfool; 04-04-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spwelling