Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S.H.I.T.'ing in Oregon

Default S.H.I.T.'ing in Oregon

I've lived in Arizona since 1982, but in 2002 I discovered steelheading in CA, and have spent 1 - 2 1/2 months fishing the CA steelhead season every year since. I still have a LOT to learn and only consider myself a steelheader-in-training (a S.H.I.T.), and since I'm just 5'6", I guess that makes me a Little S.H.I.T. Anyhow, I'm 57 and have GOT to get my butt out of AZ; I want to die closer to steelhead, when my time comes.
    I've been dating a woman in the bay area for 2 years, and she MIGHT let me move in with her next November (after 3 divorces, I need to take things a bit slowly), but if she decides against that, I figure I might as well move to OR. So, in a few days, I'm heading up there to check out coastal cities with over 100K populations that might have room for one more photographer. I also will need to check out the steelhead rivers. So, I've got 3 weeks to work on this project. I figure to spend one day each looking over 3 cities and 2 1/2 weeks being a S.H.I.T.
    You can probably see this coming...I need some advice as to rivers to fish. I'll be wading, so private property could be an issue. I have back issues of Northwest Fly Fishing to go through, but advice from guys in the know would be a real help. Feel free to PM me. Thanks, amigos.
    Last edited by Bruce Berman; 02-21-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: improve grammar

bruce

theres nothing on the coast that has a population that big. Check out Eugene or Springfield
    or North. A lib like you will feel right at home In Orygun.

Doesn't have to be EXACTLY on the coast. Hell, I'm now 16 hours from the nearest SH river. I'll be looking at Eugene, Salem and Portland. And, maybe I'm not such a liberal. Maybe you're just a redneck, Forks bait chucker in disguise? BTW, I ain't good at it, but I'm finally able to get a fly out there spey casting. I'll be practicing that, too.

Dont overlook the Rogue Valley. The combined cities of Medford, Ashland, Central Point, Eagle Point, etc... Combine to a healthy population. The Rogue is a great steelhead river and the Smith, Chetco, Umpqua, Coquille, Klamath are a day trip.

Actually, I'd ruled that area out. Too hot in the summer (I know, I live in AZ so what's that all about?, but I live at 4,600 feet). Maybe I'll take a look there again IF I don't like any of the mentioned areas. Thanks, JB.

Bruce

try to find this book.http://www.wildadvpress.com/store/in...7341f521335ea6

It is a great reference book.

Question Weather....

Bruce,.... You might want to consider what north coast weather is really like, year 'round. Even at high altitudes, the weather in AZ is not like coastal weather every day. Foggy, windy, cool to cold and rainy (even in the summer). I know it's a cliche' but Samuel Clemmons once said that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco (paraphrasing).

It's one thing to visit during fishing season, quite another to live there full time. Were I you, I would consider Jbirds suggestion (Rogue Valley)....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

S.H.I.T. man, I say go for it... If you live for steelheading and she's a decent woman, do it! Who gives a S.H.I.T. ?

Hey Darian,
    I've GOT to try it. If I don't, there will always be a "what if". Right now, all my fishing trips are big events. I can't get away for an afternoon or overnight trip, so they are few and far between. It really sucks! The closest trout streams of any value are a 7 hour drive. I'm so far south, I can see Mexico from my home.

Default Hot

Hey Bruce see your in Sierra Vista, Arizona spent some time there this summer for fire season you are a long ways from water alright . Well go for it