A WHALE OF A PRIZE

After a few days of windy weather the Sea of Cortez has laid down nicely today. The water along our beach is clear, blue and loaded with bait fish. I am excited that conditions look right for fishing to go off as spring arrives.

The change in weather came just in time for the newly formed non profit "East Cape Sportfishing Club" consisting of 14 members to hold their first tournament today. Five entries fished for 3 hours with a target species of sierra mackerel. Winning was based on total weight for a 5 fish maximum.

I witnessed the tournaments shot gun start from the beach at the Gaviota palapa in Buena Vista at 7AM for the 3 boats that arrived on time. Wining 2,800 pesos in 1st place with total weight of 7.995 for 5 fish was Isrial "Cayuyu" Castro. 2nd prize of 1,200 pesos was taken by Winslow who also weighed 5 fish. Cayuyu also won the 1,350 peso jack pot with a 2.33 kilo fish.

Felipe Valdez said 15 other applications to join the new club have been received from local Mexicans and Americans. The club is waiting for final approval of their paper work from Hacienda and other governmental agencies before accepting more members. He also went on to say the club was formed by the community and is for the community of the East Cape. Besides introducing sportfishing to our youth they will promote and support independent charter operators and have a voice in regulation and protection of sport fish in our area.

During our high season April though November Jen Wren boats are constantly on the water and our fishing tackle gets put to the test everyday. Fishing rods need some required maintenance at the end of the season but on a daily basis just rinsing the salt of the guides and reel seats and then drying them has worked for me. Fishing reels require more attention. Before washing a reel we make sure the drag is on full. This assures that no water will get to the drag while washing. Then we make sure they are completely dried. Once a month or so I lubricate the handle, clicker and drag adjustment knob with Reel X. If I know a reel is not going to get used for more than a month we remove the mono top shot. If this is not done, moisture can be trapped on the Spectra backing causing it to rot and shorten it's life.

Seven years ago I received my first Accurate reel as a gift. To tell you the truth, being a tried and true gold reel man, I didn't think much of it at the time. As time went along I came to really like that little platinum reel. Then the light came on. Twin drags are the real deal. It is not a gimmick. Having stopping power on both sides of the reel spool is what makes their drag smoothest in the industry. The spool doesn't torque to one side as your car would with just brakes on one side.

Over the last 6 years I have migrated to using Accurate reels exclusively and have never looked back. Now Jen Wren boats are fully equipped with them. It is amazing we have NEVER had to change a drag washer in an Accurate reel. Since using these reels we have never lost a fish due to reel failure.

When we send a reel to Accurate for service it returns with a full written report. There is a check list the technician fills out which gives assurance everything has been checked. There is a list of any parts replaced along with the old parts. My reports this year even told how long each reel was worked on. The average was 55 to 65 minutes. Seems like a long time in the right environment with the right tools. That gives me confidence the reels come out like new. I was surprised to learn all this information goes into Accurate's data base. If they find a certain model reel is wearing the same part they want to know and will investigate why.

Wow, not sure how I got off on that but my feelings are strong. As promised last week, here is my story on how Jen Wren got involved with the Fred Hall show in Long Beach that will be from March 7th through the 11th.

Last month I was invited by long time friend Pete Gray to be on his radio show Let's talk Hook Up. The anticipation was nerve racking but fielding questions from callers and talking about the East Cape turned out to be a kick in the pants.

Pete always asks his guests if they will donate a prize to give away to his callers. Wanting to get the biggest bang for my buck I asked John Ireland if he would participate. To my surprise he ponied up a 3 night stay at Rancho Leonero. In addition to that, we gave away a days fishing on Jen Wren III. Pete's phones rang off the hook.

The next thing I know I'm being contacted by the Fred Hall Show promoters. Every year they give away a grand prize to one lucky winner who attends their show. They liked the prize given away by Pete and were thinking about something similar. One thing led to another and with the graciousness of John Ireland and Jack Nilsen we came up with a whale of a prize.

HERE IS A WHALE OF A PRIZE

Go fishing with Jack!!! Accurate Fishing is sponsoring the Fred Hall Grand Prize trip giveaway this year. An awesome trip for (2) to Rancho Leonero in the east cape for 5 days including 2 days fishing aboard Jen Wren Sportfishing with Accurate's own Jack Nilsen as your newest fishing partner and personal photograher. This prize includes airfare and ground transportation too. Just visit the Accurate booth at the Fred Hall Shows and enter to win. This is an opportunity you don't want to miss!

YOUR HOST AT WORK

YOUR RIDE

YOUR TACKLE

If you plan on attending the show please stop by. We will be located next Michael Fowlkes "Inside Sportfishing" and across from Accurate Reels on tackle row.

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
US cell 310 308 5841