Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VERY exciting new waterproof camera

I picked up an Nikon AW100 for a fishing trip to Belize and had high hopes. Good size, controls, easy to use menu and waterproof etc..

I liked the camera for all those reasons but found a fatal flaw...fogging.

Used the camera daily in 80 degree heat, no submersion and found the lens would often fog a few minutes after the camera was turned on. Extremely frustrating. Quite a few pictures have a big blurry spot, others slightly "fogged" depending on the amount of condensation within the lens enclosure.

A Google search shows others have had the same problem. Called Nikon on my return and they said "never heard of it, send it in for eval". Took it back to Costco instead and now I'm waiting for Canon to release it's D20.

The AW100 could be a good camera but Nikon has to address this problem.

koffler - The Fuji is a lower grade camera. The Nikon has a much better sensor and image stabilization system. If you plan on using your camera often and are expecting GOOD photos go with the Nikon or something similar priced. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Cmcculloch - the new Nikon AW100 has the same sensor and processor as your S8100, it's just a slimmer less zooming WATERPROOF version, in a nutshell.

nvpescador - I have heard more complaints about Nikon over my 7 years of selling cameras than I have of Canon cameras. Panasonic is also very good. I have enjoyed both of my Pentax cameras too. Fortunately this newest batch of waterproof cameras over $300 have good technology such as improved low-light sensors and real optical image stabilization.
    Last edited by Adam Grace; 05-03-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

how about the olympus tg820 IHS as compared to this camera? buying one of the two in the next few days....

pulled the trigger on the canon! thanks for the great info all!

Default Pentax K-30 "weather proof"

Just got an email about another new model DSLR - Pentax K-30 that is "weather proof" (fully weather sealed, dustproof, and cold proof design. http://pentaximaging.com/dslr/k-30_Black

It doesn't say you can take it underwater.

so far all i have are positive reviews about this camera. moderate use for 3 days and the battery is still great. takes great low light pictures, image stabilization very effective. also, it effectively zooms to 16x which i did not realize. very fast, easy to use and change settings!!

I ended up getting the Nikon AW100 and like it. I'm no camera expert but it takes clean photos, I've used it underwater, and I can record short videos. So far so good-

Jason

Thanks for the reviews guys. Can you post some of your pics from your new cameras?

Adam Grace

What about the GoPro?

The GoPro is primarily a video recorder, the images are good but all of the pictures will look "fish-eyed." A waterproof camera will be much more versatile, but the GoPro is very cool for video! The sensor on the Canon is much better in low light as well as having many more shooting modes and much better/predictive Auto Mode.

Adam Grace