Thread: Flure....

Question Flure....

Not exactly fly tying but close. I've been reading about Boyd Pfieffers foam fly patterns and Charlie Bisharats use of foam and synthetics and decided to experiment a bit. The pattern pictured is based on a foam bodied fly pattern called Boyd's Sandwich Fly. As you can see it has a prop on the tail. Interesting design. It will always lay flat on the water. Weight can be added between the layers if wanted. Lots of room for further exploration here....

Bottom View

Last edited by Darian; 02-13-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Fun stuff Darian. Great to see you're having fun at the vice
    I've been fishing more gear lately with my boy, now 5, to get him into the local surf fishing.
    Definitely gives you more thoughts as you go back to the vise about how to replicate some of these hardbaits that work so well in our local surf for halibut and big perch.
    Some of the internal sliding weight systems are designed really well and you can launch these things way out there without them going into a helicopter on you.
    Lots to adapt from the gear guys for sure.

Go figure, his first fish he reeled in with me holding the 9ft surf rod was a good sized halibut from the surf.
    Good thing is he wants to go every weekend with me.
    Bad thing is he wants to catch another halibut as if they grow on trees in the surf zone.

-Paul
    Last edited by PaulC; 02-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Darian , does it spin and twist the leader when you cast it ?

D.~

Question Flure....

Hey Paul,.... Good to hear from you. You're starting your son off fishing about the same time my dad started me while fishing at Belmont Pier (before the Long Breakwall was there ). The first fish for me was a Spotfin Croaker. Looks like you'll have a fishing partner anytime you want one, now.

I've been looking at a lot of different pattern designs lately. As you say, it's fun and there's plenty to consider from the dark side. It's all good.

David,.... I haven't cast this "thing" yet.... Not sure what will happen when I do. I believe that it will helicopter if attempting to cast a lengthy distance. I don't plan on casting it further than 30'-40'. I'm hoping that it will be relatively stable since the spinner blade is on the rear of the hook. Hopefully, weighting the spinner shaft would add a bit of stability.

Maybe it would be better if I reverse the pitch on a second blade, for counter rotation, and put it in front of the "flure".
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown