Thread: Boulder in June

Default Boulder in June

Just learned I may be in Boulder in mid June. I've never been in the Rockies before.

I'd appreciate recommendations for where to learn about fly fishing in that area at that time.

Thanks!

__Roy

Lily Lake just outside Estes Park ( little over 1 hour From Boulder) is a great place to Fly Fish for the CO state Fish: Greenback Cutthroat Trout. My reccomendation if you have a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by royewest View Post
    Just learned I may be in Boulder in mid June. I've never been in the Rockies before.

I'd appreciate recommendations for where to learn about fly fishing in that area at that time.

Thanks!

__Roy
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Runoff might be a problem during that time. The Thompson is a great river near Estes as well.

Check out ST. Petes fly shop on Ft. Collins. They have great reports on the area. Rocky Mountain NP is close.

Jason

Ditto on St. Pete's.

If runoff isn't too high, the Poudre River west of Forth Collins is a nice and very accessible stream.

Thanks, all!

From Boulder you have lots of options, creeks, rivers and stillwater. Check out Front Range anglers fly shop in Boulder for current info. They've got a blog with fishing reports, Colorado front range has great fly fishing, have fun.

If you have the gear to fish lakes then Delaney Buttes lakes are great. The lakes are just outside of Walden, CO in the North Park area of CO. There is stream fishing along the Poudre River canyon as you drive up the hill from Ft. Collins.

I suppose having fished that area 2 out of the last 3 late Junes - early July (wasn't there for that reason, but I did bring a fishing rod):

I come up with a different opinion. Lily lake is on the road, and pounded by everyone; wouldn't go there. Not the thompson either, far too many people. There are some trails to hike up to more remote lakes - where you will find every 4th person with a fishing rod (instead of every other person). Having fished it all, I wouldn't fish Estes again if you paid me. A tourist trap. And the fishing isn't much to crow about there. Time of year is an issue, due to snowmelt. I know it's considerably lower snowpack this year, but it still will be high. But there are, some, fish. Just say no to Boulder Creek as well.

To give yourself some options, you could moe-z up towards Nederland from Boulder then turn right on the peak-peaks highway (rt 72), there will be a series of other, non-Estes parks and somewhat smaller waters you can fish. Fishing is pretty good for smallish Brook trout on dries, if I recall correctly, red quills in the 16-20 size were standard. They may be in shape with the lower snowpack, and certainly less people because it ain't all next to a road. There are decent published guides on all the waters, and if you can't find the front range fly shop in Boulder, there's a true-value hardware in Nederland. If none of that appeals to you - then continue driving to Estes - you'll pass Lily lake along the way, and before that, the first park entrance has some trails up to other lakes with those green cutts.

Not clear what amt of time you have; you don't have to drive up to Ft. collins or Estes Park, unless you want to; there is plenty attractive opps. closer to Boulder if it's a day or afternoon trip you're looking at.
    Last edited by amoeba; 02-23-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. My old man learned to fly-fish above Ft. Collins so I've always wanted to see that country and maybe fish it, so we'll see if this opportunity pans out.