Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Holy grail!

Fantastic shots. That one of the Snowy Owl flying and looking straight into the lens is amazing. Nice work.

Thank you guys for the nice comments. I feel very fortunate to have seen them!

Quote Originally Posted by kokaneejr View Post
    No tainting great find. I have also heard about them being more numerous in the states this year. Funny it almost seems to be reversed in his camo in your area. He should be a grass colored owl.

I originally thought the holly grail was a Osprey with a fish but I like this better.

Keep it up!
    This whole part of the world should be covered with snow. Its unusual to have all the exposed grass. I cant imagine having more difficult conditions to spot them. All the little snow patches look like 1000s of snowy owls. lol.
    As for the holy grail you mentioned. I checked that one off the list on my very first bird outing with a DSLR. Not an osprey, but perhaps better...

Quote Originally Posted by KobeStopper View Post
    Incredible shots of an incredible bird... Before I obsessed over fly fishing for steelhead out here in California, I was an obsessive birder while growing up in Kansas... There were years when Snowy Owls would show up during those very cold "Owl winters". They are amazing and one of my favorite birds along with Great Grey and Short-Eared Owls (I Love Owls!). Beautiful.
    I made the opposite transition. I went from steelhead to birds.lol

A great grey is another bucket list species for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    In fact, many purists frown on getting close because its so easy. well, I have an argument for them. This guy wouldnt let me within 100 yrds before flying off to a new spot. I persued him more but just couldnt get close enough for a quality image
    Jbird,
    Do Ya' mean they're kinda' like Belted Kingfishers??
    There sure wasn't anything wrong with the aerial shots! The one of the owl checking you out was pretty neat!
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike McKenzie; 02-10-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spellin'

Jay, you lucky son of a ......, a Snowy Owl, that is by far the coolest you've come across.

The way this is going, you may want to consider giving up that work thing, and make a real go at photography.

Congrats on the awesome find.

p.s. The Ermine a week or so ago was pretty frickin sweet too. I forgot to chime in on that one at the time.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Nice shots Jay, thanks
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member