Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Holy grail!

Default My Holy grail!

I drove down to a place called Buena Vista Grasslands. A refuge about an hour away thats notorious for raptors. As I pulled off the pavement and onto a rutted, dirt/sand/mud/ice road, I caught a glimps of something that made my heart skip two beats! He stayed put while I pulled over and got all rigged up. I jumped a barbed wire fence and carefully approached. Ive read many articles on how approachable these birds are. In fact, many purists frown on getting close because its so easy. well, I have an argument for them. This guy wouldnt let me within 100 yrds before flying off to a new spot. I persued him more but just couldnt get close enough for a quality image

I made my way back to the truck to drive around and find better access. As I rounded the area, keeping an eye on the owl on a mound waaay out there, I suddenly spotted another! This one closer to the road. I pulled up and shot him from the truck but still wasnt happy with the results. This guy was very nervous and I could tell he wouldnt last thru me trying to approach.

I got a bunch of shots of him flying.

There were dozens of hawks hunting the prairie. They all looked different but according to my Audubon app pics, were all variations of rough legged hawks.

I hate shooting in bright sunlight. It plays havok on exposure (especially with a pure white bird) and in turn effects the sharpness and overall quality of the pictures. Regardless, I was very excited to photograph my first Snowy Owl! Its definitly a bucket list achievement!

another 40 degree day here. Somethings just wrong in the jet stream. Supposed to go below zero this weekend tho. Yeeeehaw!

Wow --- excellent!!! Well done Jay. Your birding adventures are sure paying off.

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Was that Hedwig? Harry Potters bird?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Great shots jbird!

Default snowy owl

jbird,
    there have been several articles recently about how far south the snowy owls have
    trekked this winter. Maybe lured by the increase in Chik-fil-le(sp?) outlets.
    Good job!
    Larry S

Oh!! The Harry Potter reference somehow taints the whole experience a little.

No tainting great find. I have also heard about them being more numerous in the states this year. Funny it almost seems to be reversed in his camo in your area. He should be a grass colored owl.

I originally thought the holly grail was a Osprey with a fish but I like this better.

Keep it up!
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Beautiful shots. Truly amazing birds.

Wow Jay, Snowy Owl. Waaaay cool.

Were they selling cigars?

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Incredible shots of an incredible bird... Before I obsessed over fly fishing for steelhead out here in California, I was an obsessive birder while growing up in Kansas... There were years when Snowy Owls would show up during those very cold "Owl winters". They are amazing and one of my favorite birds along with Great Grey and Short-Eared Owls (I Love Owls!). Beautiful.