Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fishing in Belize

thanks for all the info coming in. i am planning on bringing an 8 wt and a 10wt; has anyone used anglers abroad? according to their website they have a shop on caye caulker.

thanks again
    tom

Tom.....I would just give them a call. They are on central time down there. I'm assuming they have a phone. I was never able to catch them open when i was on CC. I think I remember that they were difficult to reach by Email.....but i could be wrong about that. My advice is to keep calling if you have a # for them. don't expect them to call you back. Remember, everyone is on island time down there. That's why you are going, right? If you can swing a guide for a day do it. It ain't really DIY friendly down there. although John's advice is dead on. Just watch out for those crocks......they love a clouser. Right John?

Actually, it was a Gotcha. Good luck next week.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

John and Vernon, I don't remember any croc story. You may have told me but I was probably under the influence of one of Vernon's famous rum and tonics or maybe a pina colada. Go figure. Benji told me that he was snorkeling for lobster with a buddy at Big Lagoon Caye many years ago. His buddy reached into the mangroves for a lobster and a salt water croc bit his hand off.

Exclamation Salty Croc's....

Yikes!!!! That's enough to pucker your behind.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I see someone is working on a bat fly. Maybe we should find someone to work on a hand fly? Good for sharks too.

OK Phil. Last Feb,I'm off the south end of CC, and my crack guide, whose eyesight I've been questioning, is sure he's got a 4' snook finning just outside the mangroves. 3 or so casts, all past his nose, and I can't turn him. So, I lined him. It was 4', but hardly a snook, got him in the armpit. Lot of debate boatside about what to do.

So? What did you do? I forgot.....must have been the rum drink.

Dey tas jus lak chiken mon!

Guide puts his gloves on and says something like "I think I'm 'spose to grab his snout", but he made no move toward the rolling thing.
    Stupidly, I took the leader into the rod, right to fly and shook it. Hands free release. Hindsight says what a dumbass move--my favorite 8wt XP survived though.
    I will say say, that croc gave me a hell of a nice 50' run to start.