Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fishing in Belize

Default fishing in Belize

Hi,

I am heading to Belize at the end of March and am looking for some advice for fishing. I have no experience except for a half day bonefishing once. I also have no agenda, so any and all advice will be appreciated. I have an 8 wt rod and was thinking I would probably need a 10 wt also.

Thanks,
    tom

Tom, do a google search using my name to look at my belize reports. Try something like dan blanton phil brna belize or placencia. You could do the same for Kiene's but I don't know if that will work with google. Read those and then start asking questions. Lots of guys here and on Blanton have been fishing in Belize. If you have an 8 wt and 1/2 day experience you have a ways to go but you can get there. Where are you going and what do you want to fish for?

i will search those things, i was looking for basic information, what i should bring, some guide options, is do it yourself possible? i have no agenda, i have no set places to be, figured i would just kinda wing it when i get there. would like to fish for the usual suspects, permit, bones, tarpon

thanks

Make the same post on blanton.com. You will get a a lot more info because on that site there are a lot of posters from areas far out side of California.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

sent you a PM

Default Belice

Where are you going in Belice? Phil can help you out in the south. I can help you out in the north. High 5 Phil.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

hi, thanks for all the replies so far, i've been checking out the suggestions.

i don't have a set destination, figured i would just kick around a little bit here and there, so far i am thinking of hanging out a few days in caye caulker and then some in placencia or dangriga or some other place, probably some days inland as well

thanks,
    tom

If you go to Belize and want to fish, if you don't bring all of the gear you need, you will have difficulty finding anyone who has gear to take you out. Most guides I know just don't have any fly fishing gear. They have a boat and handlines. You are unlikely to find anything to buy except maybe at San Pedro on Ambergris (But I don't know for sure about that since I have not been there).

There is not DIY fishing to speak of in Dangria or Placencia. Caulker yes. Take an 8 wt, some leader, bonefish flies, and some wading boots and you can find bones and maybe some small jacks or snappers in those places. If you are going to the popular places at the end of March most probably the best guides will be booked. Just ask around and you will find someone but they may not know jack about fly fishing.

San Pedro has a good fly shop-Tres Pescado. It's on the north end of front street, a couple of blocks north of Fido's. All the local flies are available, plus leaders tippet, etc.
    The guides on SP do have seviceable fly equipment. Some very good. $250-$400/day. You could try a kayak rental and fish the lagoon side.
    You can catch bonefish off the oceanside of CC, but you'll have to wade out 100 yards, and avoid the water taxis. CC has/had a flyshop, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Also, just across the cut(you'll have to swim) there's a run that on a good tide has bonefish.
    Oh yeah, Belice requires a licence. $20/week.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

John I sent you a pm. Phil You should get a partner and join us in La Paz.