Thread: Rudest Rivers in America

Mike O Guest

Default Rudest Rivers in America

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...rivers-america

Not about the people...about the waters themselves...reading the comments has made me wanna rethink fishing some of the rivers based on the rudeness of the people

Nice to see our local rivers are not on this list, in fact some one the nicest people I've talked to in the Sac region have been fishing on the American.

Default check out my own comprehension...

I don't believe the article deals with the type of people on the River but more on which ones can turn from thinking you're one of the top flyfishermen like Lefty, Mike Lawson or George Anderson to Joe Schmoo on the next day due to constantly changing conditions. If that's the case, I have fished several of those waters and it appears that you can get your "hat given to you" on any days of those waters. There are other bodies of waters where as long as you can put a decent float and the generally correct bug, you will get some action...

Default ha!

apparently the people who wrote this article never fished the american I have never fished a river that through all its beauty, and VERY VERY fishy holes, can NOT produce fish on a regular basis. . . is it skill? the city? the pressure?. . . Even the suckers are not polite in the A

Default One little change could be awsome for the American

The reason why the American River is the American River is because of the total dependence upon migratory fish. Unless you're in the middle of the steelhead, salmon or shad runs; fishing can be very slow. There are certain gurus like Andy that know where the big stripers live on a year round basis that can be possibly fished for but then again, it's no sure thing.

Several years ago, I was talking with a fishing biologist about the installation of a cold water shunt similar to that is done for Shasta Dam where it determines the coldest part of the water and sends it over the top. Before the installation of that shunt, I remember the lower Sacramento River being around 65-68 degrees with a poor salmon population along with the trout fishing as just okay. With that shunt, it now runs year round at 58-60 degrees and IMO, is the finest rainbow tail water in country which gorges themselves on the healthy salmon population.

This game biologist told me that if a similar one was built for Folsom Dam, it would significantly drop the American River down to a constant 62-64 degrees below Hazel. While this temperature range would not be the best for the rainbows, it could hold a very good population of trophy brown trout given the bug, crawfish and other types of feeder fish to provide some serious size.

I don't know about the rest of you but would it be great to go trophy brown trout fishing at dusk??

Although I havent been this year, I would add Putah creek to the list. That place can humble a man very quickly.