Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Scadden Pontoon

Default Feedback on Scadden Pontoon

I've had my 9' Renegade model for a few months now, and wanted to share some observations, as the word "Scadden" tends to dog whistle up a variety of comments on several forums.

First of all, I have not yet had it in moving water. My bad, and I intend to rectify that shortly. I need to find some people interested in easy floats on the A or F or other. I've had it in small water, large water, and some rough water and it performs beautifully in all of those conditions.

Quality: I'll rate it as very good, but not perfect. Dave isn't overly conversant about his subcontractors, but we're about 98% certain the pontoons are imports. I think they are both welded and glued. I have a cosmetic blip in the seat, and although Dave said he'd gladly exchange it, he said it's not unusual and cosmetic so I'll keep it. Other than that, all components seem well done. The foam seat is very comfy with the right inflation, and the bags are absolutely perfect. I have the standard oars. Upgrades would be nice for bigger water, I suppose.

Design I'll give that an excellent rating. Dave is a wonderful designer; that's his forte, and other than a few more D-rings I have absolutely no complaints.

What Models? After a lot of talk and reading, I chose the smaller 9' Renegade MODEL over the larger 10' Rampage MODEL and I'm glad I did. I capitalize "MODEL" because the 9' is actually 8'5" and I've heard the Rampage is just shy of 10'. That was a little disappointing. The biggest difference to me other than size is portability. I'm not Hercules, but I can carry the Renegade loaded with gear for as long as I need to, short of an actual hike. I can honestly say it's more portable than my Super Fat Cat which weights 16 lbs less, due to the design. The Rampage adds some length and a little width, and 10 lbs. That extra weight and size makes a BIG difference if you're walking it any distance, and the Renegade fits nicely in my Sequoia about half inflated. I think if you really want to get into Class III or better, the Rampage is the better boat, however. I will never do that.

Frameless is the key. Many people are going from the much heavier frame boats to the frameless, but virtually no one goes from a frameless back to a frame. They are half the weight, very portable, and equally as stable. The only thing I miss not having a frame is a place to hang all my stuff. You use cam straps on the frameless which is a pain for setup but works fine.

Bladderless is also a huge item. Scaddens are bladderless and tough as anything, short of a super heavy duty cataraft type pontoon. Again, the weight is cut way down and repairs are usually very easy. His lifetime warranty means something too.

Motorizing: I will have mine complete in about a week. The motor mount is decent. I'm starting out with an old 28# electric, may try the #55, and might even get a 2 HP Honda. With the 600# stated capacity, the Renegade will handle any of the above. I'll report with some pics when I'm set up and have done some water tests.

Customer Service: Big topic. My experience is a little of both good and bad, but overall acceptable. You do have to have some patience. I ordered a motor mount in September and received it last week, and that was after 4 or 5 phone calls. It took a couple of weeks to get the boat too. I think they are really disorganized, a small front office operation, but they mean well and are great about warranties. Bottom line is Dave is a bit of a promoter, prone to exaggeration, but just know that his boundaries fall short of outright deceipt, more simple puffery.

Pricing: The "show specials," "spring specials," "winter specials," "third thursday of this month specials" are the street retail price. No one pays (or should pay) his list price. The Renegade is $999 and the Rampage is $1599, and sometimes you can get a "demo" which is a boat used in a show or a video. That's what I did and saved some. Talk to him. Dave likes to cut deals.

If I had it to do over, I'd get exactly what I have. My next Scadden will probably be an Assault XX which will carry two. I have no illusions as to portability--that's a trailer boat for me but a trailer is pretty handy if you're packing two or more toons anyway, and the larger framelss boats certainly can be packed but the setup is longer and more complicated.

Kiene has said several times that the quality boats in the upmarket consumer range are Outcast, Scadden, and Bucks, and he's right. You can't compare these to a WaterReady, NRS, or a Jack's product because those are strictly whitewater boats, IMO. If I were doing the Rogue Class III+ that's what I'd have. For my purposes, the Scadden is perfect. If I wanted a frame, I'd be happy with Outcast and Bucks too. Outcast has a new frameless for a grand that looks pretty good. It has bladders but it's Outcast and they have actual dealers, like Bill. That one deserves a close look too--just know that's not a domestic Aire product.

Hope this is of some value to the Spring pontoon lookers. I'll be glad to share experiences or opinions if needed.

John

Default Renegade

John - Thanks for the info. I too have been looking at the Scadden boats. I am interested in the Renegade, but am concerned that they are just oversized kickboats/floattubes with oars added as an afterthought as opposed to the framed boats where the oars seem to be the main method of propulsion. How is yours for rowing good distances like a mile? The oars look short and not adjustable (in or out).
    Thanks,
    Gregg

Actually, Gregg, it's almost the exact opposite.

It's all physics. Most of the 9' or under pontoon boats are in fact displacement hulls where rowing speeds are constrained by the traditional formula for displacement hull boat speeds. Here's an example.

A popular 'toon is the Outcast Fishcat 9 I-R. It weighs 65 lbs. with a load capacity of 375 lbs.

The Renegade has the same tube diameter, but weighs 28 lbs with a load capacity of 600 lbs.

While the Fish Cat pontoons with your weight and gear will have a larger wetted surface, my 200 lbs barely wets the pontoons on the Renegade. It is FAST, and literally skates on the surface. Rowing a mile isn't even warming up. The first time I had it out I put on about three miles without thinking about it.

I had a Hobie Float Cat before this, and I got it because of the oars. It was 6' long and a true displacement hull. I could kick as fast as i could row. The oars were absolutely worthless except to give yourself a break from the fins. I loved the Hobie for comfort and quality, but the utility was limited.

The oars are not adjustable, but that's not a concern as the seat position is, as is the foot bar by adding some links. If you're over 6' you may need to do that. The oars share the ball and socket system that many of the smaller 'toons have now and they adjust to your stroke, in/out, and up/down. If you're going to use it mostly in rivers, you can upgrade the oars to carbon fibre for $200 and those that have swear by them.

You have an advantage I didn't--you can try before you buy. Just shoot me a PM when you're down to serious and we'll spend some time on the water. It would be my pleasure.
    Last edited by JAWallace; 01-30-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks for the review, very helpful.
    Am also looking into Scadden craft.
    For the motor option, how do you plan to mount and secure the battery for electric motor on the frameless craft?

There are a few options. One, pictured below, is the motor mount made for the frameless Scaddens. It's secured by cam straps. The other options are building wood or aluminum decks for the stern, or bow which some people do for an electric. Some have both--a gas motor on back and an electric in front.

Note the head has been reversed on mine as the boat tracks better with the u-shape in front. You can steer with your fins.

Here's a picture of my fishin' buddy taking her first wild 'bow

Default More questions

John - Thank you for all the information and the invitation. The pictures are a big help. How does it track when you row? How comfortable is the seat? Since the seat base is inflatable, do you tend to slide off due to the weight of your legs in the water? The foot bar looks higher than other boats. Is it comfortable? The Scadden bags look like they are high enough to get in the way of your elbows/arms when casting etc. is that so?
    Sorry about all the questions.
    Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by treefshr View Post
    John - Thank you for all the information and the invitation. The pictures are a big help. How does it track when you row? How comfortable is the seat? Since the seat base is inflatable, do you tend to slide off due to the weight of your legs in the water? The foot bar looks higher than other boats. Is it comfortable? The Scadden bags look like they are high enough to get in the way of your elbows/arms when casting etc. is that so?
    Sorry about all the questions.
    Gregg
    Tracks very well, especially for 9'

The seat is comfortable, but there's a sweet spot you have to find by deflating until you have it. I now have it recorded for my pressure gauge so I have it right before I go out.

It is a LOT more comfortable than my Super Fat Cat, not quite as much as my old JW Outfitters Kingfisher and my Hobie was the best. Some people prefer a harder, fixed seat and have added them. Others prefer the foam. I get itchy after about 5 hours in it and start shifting around. I don't think 5 hours is bad and it's adjustable through air pressure and seat adjustments which can be done easily on the water.

It's roomy enough that you can easily swing around to the side. I do that sometimes just for a change of position.

You don't slide forward without the bar, and with the bar of course you're braced back. I don't think the bar is high, but it's very easy to lower by adding a couple of chain links. For taller people, they've found that's better for them. In the picture, I have it mounted high for her. You can reverse it and drop it by about 1.5."

The bags are incredibly well designed, but a little high. They don't get in the way of casting, and actually can act as an arm rest. At first my hands brushed them when I was rowing but I just adjusted the seat position slightly and it was fine.

Default Thanks

Thank you for all your help. I am going to take a good look at them in Plesanton later this month. Meantime, I will keep my eye out for a used one. Maybe, if I am headed up your way, I will give you a shout to take you up on your generous offer.
    Gregg

Default What do you do for an encore?

John - What do you do for an anchor? Do you use Sacdden's Bow mount anchor system?
    Thanks,
    Gregg

I have a Scotty's setup which is essentially the same thing. i just haven't mounted it as I have't yet had need for it. I will in the Delta, for sure. I am thinking about mounting it on the foot bar, but haven't thought it through completely.