Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 pounders

Default 1/4 pounders

Anybody here target the little resident fish on the A??? I have had plenty a good time in the past going out with my 4 wt and an #16 olive elkhair caddis below Watt Ave during the evening. I has been a while, and I was curious to know if anybody has had any luck, or is even trying for that matter

They seem to run more in the spring and fall.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

They are steelhead smolts that didnt go out into the big blue. If you touch them they will die. So be careful how you handle them. They will bite anything.

The "Half-pounder" Steelhead we are targeting are about 14 inches and larger.

If you fish out in the water that is a little deeper (over 3 feet deep?) you won't normally get too many of the little 6 to 12 inchers.

**Years ago when there were no regs to protect the small premigrant Steelhead on rivers like the Klamath, families would go up on their summer vacation and catch hundreds of these fish and eat them.........ouch.

**I always promote catch-n-release of all Half-pounders (14" to 20" plus) becausethey come in the fall and are around all winter and spring so others can catch-n-release them too.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Retired CA DF&G biologist Dennis Lee is wrting a book on the "Half-pounder" Steelhead on the West Coast. You will be shocked at the data relating to these fish and which ones are premigrants and which a one year returning adults.

Most of us fly fishers only know what we think and what other have talked about but Dennis's info is science, not hearsay.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

----------
    Last edited by Rherrjr; 12-24-2013 at 12:38 AM.

On the Klamath we dub them "McFish"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rherrjr View Post
    Or just not target them. ..
    This is probably the prudent choice. The difference with c&r'ing smolts is these are extremely young, delicate fish. Part of the reason less than 1% of steelhead/salmon live to maturity.

Targeting steelhead smolts has been a hot bed of debate on western rivers. There are some "guides" that advertise dry fly trout fishing on the Rogue river. 99% of what theyre catching are smolts. Very controvercial.

** Hatchery trout or steelhead are those showing a healed adipose fin clip (adipose fin is absent). Unless otherwise provided, all other trout and steelhead must be immediately released. Wild trout or steelhead are those not showing healed adipose fin clip (adipose fin is present).

On the Klamath River you are only allowed one hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead a day so that probably keeps those summer families from taking 10 a day per person per day as they use to some years ago.

Yes, it was advertised as dry fly fishing for trout.....and that's how the they kept the rentals full all summer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Shawn

Hey Shawn:
    Are you seeing any of the Japanese tsunami debris washing up at the Forks? Heard
    something about it on NPR the other day.
    Best,
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Hey Shawn:
    Are you seeing any of the Japanese tsunami debris washing up at the Forks? Heard
    something about it on NPR the other day.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Some stuff has washed up on the beaches. I haven't heard of much. We have been having real big surf conditions at La push so I dont go near the beaches in winter.