Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truth about stipers?? GGSA disagrees...

Default Truth about stipers?? GGSA disagrees...

Just curious...

"Stripers have done more harm to the delta ecosystem than just about any other introduced species."

Please gime us some facts... not theories. We've heard plenty of those from DFG.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

This was posted on another forum...

http://goldengatesalmonassociation.c...GGSA-Final.pdf

Question Stripers....

Tracy,.... I can't really cite a bunch of scientific facts on this topic. However, I don't think the statement is supportable without a comparable analysis of the relationship/role that each introduced species in the Delta has to each other and the ecosystem as a whole. That's probably not possible under current circumstances within this state. No money.

The DFG Invasive Species Program has a lot of info available but not all of it is at their fingertips. According to everything I've been reading, non-native, invasive species of all types are being introduced daily thru a variety of sources (foreign/domestic). We probably aren't even aware of all of them at any given time.

Forgive me for stating the obvious.... We do know that Stripers are top of the line predators, anadromous that they are fecund and resilient with big appetites. Plus, their taste in food has a wide range of other species, including some that're protected. They're a great gamefish and they probably exert some control over other predators. They taste good when cooked in your favorite recipe. They have great economic value to recreational fisherman and related economies....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Thanks Darian...

I was hoping Bob would take a crack a backing-up his own quote.

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Chimenti View Post
    Just curious...

"Stripers have done more harm to the delta ecosystem than just about any other introduced species."

Please gime us some facts... not theories. We've heard plenty of those from DFG.

We don't have anywhere near a complete picture of what the Delta ecosystem was like before Stripers were introduced so its impossible to answer your question without theorizing.

Safe to say they are very hungry fish, they exist in great numbers, and if they have not had a huge impact on the Delta ecosystem its probably the only time in recorded history that man has messed with nature to such a degree and not screwed it up.

"Harm" is a relative term. To a sports fisherman, Stripers are harmless if Salmon and Steelhead runs remain healthy...you said as much yourself on the other thread.

Suffice to say, Stripers have had more impact on the delta ecosystem than any other introduced species...wether that impact constitutes "harm" will ultimately be in the eye of the beholder.

Default Stripers

No doubt they eat salmon and steelhead.

But the commercial and sport salmon interests have recently wrote a letter to the commission expressing their belief that the threat is negligable. They know where the principal threat exists and expressed in in their letter.

I say add on Bass Angler's Sportsmans' Society to the mix of stakeholders... if exotics are such a threat. Without stripers in the delta, largemouth bass are likely to increase exponentially and could create even greater harm to native fish.

Oh... that's a multi-billion-dollar industry with a massive, well engrained following... IN OTHER WORDS, UNTOUCHABLE!

Of course the primary threat to juvenile fish is pumping and a reverse flow in the delta that pushes the smolts towards the waiting Stripers. If you fish for Delta Stripers you know where they hang and wait for the food to come their way. That is not in dispute.

But the fact remains that if the pumps were turned off permanently and water flowed through the delta naturally east to west, the Stripers would still be eating juvenile salmon and steelhead, perhaps not to the same degree, but they'd still be eating.

All of this begs an even larger question. The construction of thousands of miles of delta levees and flood protection measures have boxed in the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers in a very unnatural way. Before we built the Delta that whole area spent almost half the year submerged in Sierra runoff, as did large parts of the central valley. These flooded areas were the nurseries for hundreds of millions of juvenile fish and we destroyed them. If we are talking about restoring native fish stocks and the original ecosystem of the delta, we should be talking about levee removal, not levee protection.

Just a thought.

Bob, I think the primary threat is the(1) pumps themselves, then the (2) combination of pumps and exotic game fish.

It's eery how much this system of dual conveyance will cost, especially when it doesn't work to rebuild salmon and steelhead, and so would begin the expensive mitigation options to limit saltwater intrusion that will only further alter the ecology of the system-- this aside from policies. Granted-- more water, possibly twice the flow eventually.

In the end, wouldn't it be just a simple if we reduced the massive ag export complex
    (Westlands)? We would then have farmers on good dirt, and I'd have salmon, steelhead and stripers to fish for. Simple!

I know taking out the farms and returning the islands to marshes is high on the nature Conservancy's opinion, but I really think they realize they can't fight the big exporters. They might as well "give in" and optimize what's left. Their staff receives funding for such opinions.

Default Here's some facts...

Just curious...

One fact with regard to what Tracy's quoted above is that it as an absolutely false statement, period

A second fact is that with the listing of several runs of salmonids in 1991 or 92 DFG stopped all artificial "enhancement" of striped bass (no more planting of hatchery stripers) due to the concerns over listed species.
    During the mid to late 1990s, DFG spent the better part of 5 years, in concert with the National Marine Fisheries Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and DFG salmon experts, developing an extensive, more than 200-page, Conservation Plan for the Department of Fish and Game's Striped Bass Management Program to satisfy incidental take (primarily predation by striped bass on listed species) requirements of Section 10 of the Federal Endangered Species Act. Analysis for this Conservation Plan indicated that predation by striped bass on listed species was not a significant source of their mortality. The DFG was then given a Sec.10 "incidental take permit" to resume stocking of hatchery fish which they did in 2000 and partially did in 2001. There were "population limit restrictions" built in to incidental the take permit.

When the 1998 striped bass abundance report came out in 2000, the estimated population of adult striped bass exceeded the terms of the permit. The Feds then pulled the permit but in the meantime, the Striped Bass Stamp Committee had authorized buying more fingerlings and DFG bought another million striper fingerlings prior to the Feds pulling of the Sec. 10 permit. Push came to shove and the Feds finally allowed an additional planting of 750,000 of the already purchased fingerlings in 2001. Permission was then granted to net pen raise the other 250,000 fingerlings in O'neil Forebay for later distribution in San Louis Reservoir, Millerton Lake and Lake Mendocino. None have been planted since.

Another fact, is that during the hearings on the Coalition for a Sustainable Delta's (CSD) lawsuit filed against DFG for not having a Sec. 10 "take" permit for the Fish and Game Code regulation of striped bass populations, Judge Wanger ruled against the CSD in his dismissal of their request for a Summary Judgment in their favor. The reason he ruled against them is that
    they did not prove their case. The reason the couldn't prove their case is the exact same reason the Fed issued an incidental take permit the DFG to allow stocking to resume. There is no credible science that demonstrates that striped bass predation has any effect on population levels of listed species.

That's about all I have to say on the subject until after the F&G Commission hearing on the 2nd of Feb.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike McKenzie; 01-19-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Bob, I think the primary threat is the(1) pumps themselves, then the (2) combination of pumps and exotic game fish.

It's eery how much this system of dual conveyance will cost, especially when it doesn't work to rebuild salmon and steelhead, and so would begin the expensive mitigation options to limit saltwater intrusion that will only further alter the ecology of the system-- this aside from policies. Granted-- more water, possibly twice the flow eventually.

In the end, wouldn't it be just a simple if we reduced the massive ag export complex
    (Westlands)? We would then have farmers on good dirt, and I'd have salmon, steelhead and stripers to fish for. Simple!

I know taking out the farms and returning the islands to marshes is high on the nature Conservancy's opinion, but I really think they realize they can't fight the big exporters. They might as well "give in" and optimize what's left. Their staff receives funding for such opinions.
    But Tracy even if you reduce the ag demand to a trickle, if you chop down all the nut trees and plow under all the cotton and rice, you'll still have 22 million people dependent on drinking water that flows through the very vulnerable delta. Forget ag for a moment and focus on people. If the delta fails you'll have a human disaster. For this reason alone, nothing to do with ag needs or demands, we need a safe water conveyance system around the delta.