Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: more stream etiquette

If and when fly fishing turns into golf with a big thick rule book, a dress code, people asking to play through and marshalls ordering me to speed up or move along, I'll take up basket weaving or speelunking.

If I'm fishing a hole and I'm catching fish and enjoying myself I'll keep doing so. If I see a guy loitering on the bank wanting a shot at those same fish I'll probably start feeling like a hole hog, stop having fun, (defeating the purpose of my fishing trip) and turn it over to him and move on to somewhere else.

I get precious few days to fish and I prefer them to be as stress free as possible. I have no interest in fishing elbow to elbow or waiting in line for a spot with anyone...no matter how big or hungry the fish. I'd rather hike a few miles into the boonies to a small stream with small fish and have the place to myself.

Watching Rivers of a Lost Coast and seeing hundreds of guys in the same hole and naval battles with prams attacking eachother had me scratching my head. Who the hell saw enjoyment in that? sure, there were a lot of big fish to catch, but thats not really what its all about...is it?
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-19-2012 at 05:49 PM.

I completely agree with you, I work in downtown Sacramento and very often day dream of solitude and peacefulness when I head out to my spots. There are certain places or sections of rivers that I wont even bother with because I have to either fend off my spot or I just cant seem to relax knowing two guys are lurking around in the bushes behind me.

I have had guides bring their clients right up on me only the other side of the river and land several fish. If I had been catching fish I would have been fine with it, but they had to come over and really rub it in.

Default Deli rules

Take a number and wait your turn. When you catch one, regardless of size move to the next spot and pull another number and wait.

May I just say it also pays off to have 4WD? I actually would rather fish a less productive area than put up with all the people and parking lots. Also another reason I still love my float tube

Quote Originally Posted by rusty fly View Post
    Take a number and wait your turn.
    What the hell?

Guys, these are the Sierra Nevadas, the tallest, nastiest, steepest mountain range in the lower 48. Find yourself a different stream. There are tons of them.

Ownfl4g's on the right track.

Where I fish if I see another angler period it's a crowded day. And that's under 2 hrs from Sacramento.

When I spot another angler I will climb up into the trees and put at least a quarter mile between him and me. That way by the time he reaches the point I re-entered the stream the fish have calmed down are feeding again and my footprints have dried, leaving him thinking he's the only soul in this canyon.

The same way I like to feel.

Lace up your boots boys and check out some maps. There's no reason for anyone looking for a quality fishing experience to put up with people lurking in the bushes. Leave the easy access for the tourists and find yourselves a piece of the 'real' Sierras.

It's a lot easier than you might think.

Sorry Jason, it's way off your original post but it just begged to be said.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    What the hell?

Guys, these are the Sierra Nevadas, the tallest, nastiest, steepest mountain range in the lower 48. Find yourself a different stream. There are tons of them.

Ownfl4g's on the right track.

Where I fish if I see another angler period it's a crowded day. And that's under 2 hrs from Sacramento.

When I spot another angler I will climb up into the trees and put at least a quarter mile between him and me. That way by the time he reaches the point I re-entered the stream the fish have calmed down are feeding again and my footprints have dried, leaving him thinking he's the only soul in this canyon.

The same way I like to feel.

Lace up your boots boys and check out some maps. There's no reason for anyone looking for a quality fishing experience to put up with people lurking in the bushes. Leave the easy access for the tourists and find yourselves a piece of the 'real' Sierras.

It's a lot easier than you might think.

Sorry Jason, it's way off your original post but it just begged to be said.

Ed
    Nah Ed, your post isn't really any further off track than any others.
    Actually I agree with you almost entirely, and I'm almost certain that we fish a lot of the same waters in the summer months Then again, there are also some "other" waters that are kind of fun to fish from time to time that unfortunately are rather well known. I try to only visit them when I think that the crowds will be at an all time low, but sometimes I've not timed it right.

To be honest I've not had that many issues at all from other people, even on some of the more crowded days (actually some of the better sportsmanship/etiquette that I've run across was on some of the more crowded days that I fished). I guess the reason that I even wanted to bring up some discussion about the topic is that I've been lucky to have had some folks really go the extra mile to be kind, considerate, and often helpful to me. I am a little surprised by some of the direction that it took. I guess it sounds like I've been pretty fortunate so far compared with some of the negative interactions that were mentioned.

I think that this thread may have run its course, thanks for the input. I'll probably try this topic from a different angle at a later date, and be a bit more cautious on the wording.
    JB

It's really simple. I'll provide an example of fishing some of the steelhead runs on the Trinity or any other SH river (GR, NUmp, etc):

If someone is fishing a run, it is taken. Might as well be private property. You don't go in it unless invited (or at least ask if you can come in at the top and they give the ok). It is their run until they decide it's time to move on.

I extend this courtesy to anybody on the river and expect the same in return. Trout fishing may work differently at times due to the different nature of the fish but the basic principle applies.

See ya,
    Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Default How do you enforce etiquette anyway....

While I agree that fishing alone is by far and away the best way to fish this does not really address the etiquette issue. I am lucky to live close to some of the best and most interesting fly fishing in the west: Redding.

As a guide I fish the lower Sac a lot and there are always lots of folks (and boats) so the issue comes up a lot. Is it Ok for a drift boat to fish the other side of the run that a bank fisherman is fishing?

I also fish the Trinity..... same question.....Is it Ok for a drift boat to fish the other side of the run that a bank fisherman is fishing?

Two very different pieces of water.... same question... different answer.....
    On the Trinity I always (I repeat ALWAYS) ask the bank angler that I must pass where he wants me to go so as not to disturb his hole and his fish. Anything less and a shouting match will surely ensue. This generally means that I go as close to his side of the bank as possible, usually between him/her and the bank.

On the lower Sac it is common to roll through the other side of the 'spot' and no ones gives it a second thought.

The difference is the size of the water (the hole or slot). My rule of thumb is that if it is at all possible to tangle lines while fishing you are too close. In addition it is very inappropriate to fish 'ahead' of another angler.

My personal style is to start at the bottom of a run and move upstream as I go. I have seen more than one 'cherry picker' drop in above me into what he/she believes top be the prime lie (the top of the riffle) and fish until I get there....... What they don't realize is that while they intend to vacate when I move up they may have 'spoiled' the spot by dropping in above and most likely spooking the best fish.

The idea to avoid people of course remedies all these issues.... But if you are looking for steelhead on the Trinity or a pleasant evening dry fly fishing on Hat Creek w/ #18 BWO's avoiding people is about impossible....so appropriate etiquette is important.

As a 'local' I am sympathetic to the folks that are trying to learn or maybe fish just a few days a year due to schedules etc...... their desire and enthusiasm just gets the best of them.....

In most cases the golden rule applies so I usaully do unto others as I would want them to do unto me......

Curtis Cole
    NorCalDrifter@yahoo.com
    www.curtsfishingadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    1) how long is reasonable to sit on a hole, at what point would one become a bogart?
    JB

I certainly don't know the answer to that question as I must have fly fisherman's ADD...no matter how well I'm doing, the next riffle or hole always looks better.

I must admit, it's been a long time since I've seen "bogart" used in a sentence. ( I can't remember exactly how long)

Default Ditto the Golden Rule & a Quicky Conditions Report

"...In most cases the golden rule applies so I usually do unto others as I would want them to do unto me...

Curtis Cole"

Curtis----We're on the same page ; per my 1/19 post on this thread referencing the Pro-Tip" feature in Sierra Fisherman magazine's Spring 2011 issue...first paragraph, 2nd sentence. The "rule" is applicable, regardless of wading or drifting.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com

PS....Finally it is snowing! Currently there is 5" of very wet snow accumulating on my back deck at 6500' in Truckee. Amazingly...a "20-20" occurred while fly fishing yesterday, a 20" RainBow was duped by a #20 FlashBack W-40. The snow is welcome...the trout need it.
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 01-21-2012 at 01:55 PM.