Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: River etiquette

Default River etiquette

Some friends and I recently went in as partners on an old drift boat. (Very stoked!) Took it out to the Yuba last week for our virgin run. As you can imagine, it was no perfect drift. Splashing water, a few whoopsies and a lot of scared fish. We were, however, congnizant of other fishermen on the river and gave wide birth when we came upon them, making sure not to fish their water and be as quiet as possible. We passed one guy at the top of a riffle, drifted about 100-150 yards down, and pulled to shore. We wanted to walk down to the next "rapid" to preview how best to manage the drift. The guy at the top of the riffle started yelling at us. Not a problem, but it did get me thinking:
    How far down a run is far enough?
    When is it okay for drifters to recast after passing somone on shore?
    To swingers get more space than nymphers?
    Do the number of fishermen on the water shrink your space?
    BTW: Here is a pic of my bud with a great fish caught on a rubberleg. Also caught fish on Red Headed Steps and micros

Here's the pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rich Yuba.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	3995  

Quote Originally Posted by chixnribs View Post
    How far down a run is far enough?
    For some people you can never be far down enough, for me if you give me enough room to cast I am happy. But some people think they own the whole damn river and it is people like that, that can ruin a whole day with their terrible attitude. I would bet anything that the guy that yelled at you would also do the same thing but a lot closer. Next time take me out and I'll go have a nice talk with the person that is yelling.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

That seems like plenty of room to me.... On WU property, I've had people just walk up right next to me and start casting.... I just strung up and walked away after unhooking my fish. I guess i need to carry a few razor blade flies when I fish there....
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Distance is often relative...

Most people don't golf or rifles shoot on a regular basis and have a difficult time estimating exact distances. I basically look at something a bit over 100 yards would be a pitching wedge or around one Sacramento city block. The problem with the Yuba River is that the fish can be concentrated in a small area and the worst thing I hate after getting up early and down to my favorite spot to plant my flag is to have guys not providing a decent room when they're coming down the river.

One of my top items to get me is when I'm patiently waiting for a trout to get into a comfortable feeding pattern. I follow the Yuba River adage of "he who cast the least, wins", when I see a boat coming down (never when it’s a guide) to run right down the middle of my drift and think it's okay to cast right in front of me since I'm not casting. In most cases, they're throwing a combination of 3/0 lead along with some huge rubber legs stones topped off by an orange or chartreuse yarn indicator. Needless to say, the amount of surface disturbances had just put down the fish that I was hunting. They just put my working fish down for another 45-60 minutes.

The biggest problem that I see with most people who "fish" the Yuba River is that they treat it like any other water especially ones with hatchery fish. Remember, we're going after wild hot fish who have the top fisherman trying to nail them for many years and none of the fish want to have a hook stuck into their lips.

You need to put yourself into predator mode and become more diligent in your approach and fishing patterns and habits.
    Last edited by Terry Imai; 01-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Along with everything else, use common sense. Always remember that, as the dude in the boat, you really do have the whole river to fish. I don't have too much sympathy for boaters who complain about bankies being in their spot.

But, I run into a lot of amateurs (non-guide drift boaters) who make a couple common mistakes, especially when it comes to fishing around bank anglers who are swinging:

1. If somebody is standing in knee to waist deep water, casting their butt off to reach the other side of the run, and praying for a grab, you better not drift in front of them. Pull in to shore ahead upstream and try to slide down behind them (between them and the near bank) as quietly as possible. More than likely, they'll reel up and help you walk your boat around/ Heck, they'll probably invite you to fish the run if you want. But, PLEASE, don't drift right through where they're swinging. I promise they will let you know if you do. If it's a narrow run, and you can't get behind, so be it. That's the way things work.

2. If somebody is swinging a run, don't think just because you have drifted pass that you can start fishing. Leave them the run (or at least what is downstream of them). This may not make sense in a trout world, but in a steelhead world, if somebody is in the run, it's their run unless THEY tell you otherwise. I guarantee they didn't get into the water an hour before shoot time to have some yayhoo in a boat plop their bobbers right into the seam they are working. If you can't tell where they are fishing, ask.

I'm sure we can argue about the finer points of this but these are some things I have learned, somewhat the hard way.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

chix, imo:

a) 100+ yds is plenty, esp. if dude was fishing in head of riffle and you were d/s
    b) give it 150 yds as you did
    c) no. nymphers may move around more and wade deeper to cover as much water as swingers.
    d) yes.

Mike O Guest

Anyone want to cut and paste this to the shop (no names) which can't seem to figure this out on the LSac and Trinity? How many times have thier guides drifted right thru, fishing the whole time? I understand drifing thru when there isn't enough room to drift around, but PULL UP YOUR LINES WHEN YOU GO THRU MY SPOT!!!

Mike

Default Shop Unnamed

I hear you Mike. One day when the Lower Sac was blown due to rain there was a "Guide" from The Fly xxxx on the Yuba. The guy back rowed right in front of me a few times. Didn't hook anything so he parked his boat about ten feet below me and proceeded to have his clients fish the rest of the run. I just reeled up and shook my head. I will never step foot in there again.

For the most part the guides on the Yuba give you plenty of room. I would say 100 to 150 feet is plenty.

As a wader I think you should also let the boats pass safely. I usually wade back towards shore if I am in the middle of the river and wave them through. Some of the rowers out there are pretty sketchy...

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cyama View Post

As a wader I think you should also let the boats pass safely. I usually wade back towards shore if I am in the middle of the river and wave them through. Some of the rowers out there are pretty sketchy...
    Yes... But since when does "waving through" also mean "fishing through?"