Thread: What is considered true fly fishing?

Default What is considered true fly fishing?

A bait fisherman (who hand digs his/her worms) could look at people using power bait as less of a fisherman, because digging up worms in ones backyard is being more of a fishing purist than buying powerbait from wallmart.

If one were strictly a lure fisherman, that person could look at the hand dug worm fisherman as less of a fisherman because theyre simply using bait.

Now the lure fisherman can be looked at as less of a fisherman through the eyes of a fly fisherman using indicators.

The indicator fly fisherman is looked at as less of a fisherman through the eyes of someone who swings weighted flies on a weighted line.

The weighted fly fisherman can be looked at as less of a fisherman through the eyes of someone who swings with a floating line with a weighted fly.

The floating/weighted fly fisherman can be looked at as less of a fisherman through the eyes of someone who swings with floating line and an unweighted fly.

The floating weightless swinger can be looked at as less of a fly fisherman through the eyes of someone who strictly fishes dry flies with a modern floating line.

Now… The modern day dry fly fisherman can be looked at as less of a fisherman through the eyes of someone who uses only dry flies on a braided horse hair line soaked in floatant (I think that’s what the old schoolers used to use).

And on top of all that anyone who doesn’t tie their own flies can be looked at as less of a fly fisherman because they buy their flies from cabellas or fly shops ect.

And lets all keep in mind some people spool up hundreds of feet of 12lb green mono on their fly reels so they can litterally cast out nymphs with a little weight and do a tight line drift 40 feet away. (Yes I‘ve seen people do this and it does work.) These guys make indicator fisherman look like purists! Lol. This is all a matter of perspective…

This is why I don't see the point in bashing, poking fun at or criticizing fly fisherman who use indicators. To say that’s not fly fishing is the worst in my opinion. To me seems what is considered fly fishing is just a matter of perspective. If I tie my own flies, to match a hatch on a river, using a fly line, on a fly reel, which is attached to a fly rod, with an indicator… Does that not make me a fly fisherman? Isn’t each one of our goals to HAVE FUN and get out and catch fish? Reguardless of how we’re doing it. If one were to fish for other reasons than having fun that person is most likely a guide. If your not a guide and you fish not to have fun, but to boost your own ego, then that sucks for you, you shouldn’t be taking life that serious anyways!

As long as people aren’t harvesting their catch, or using improper catch and release tactics, or fishing spawning beds, I don’t see anything wrong with whatever fishing tactics anyone is using. Anyways that’s my two cents I just wanted to see what people have to say about this subject… And keep in mind I’m not criticizing anyone here, simply And I figured the steelhead board would be most appropriate since people seem to be more opinionated here.
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-06-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

Tenkara Taimen fisherman laughs at all of you!

Fly fisherman fish the fly not the bobber, but I am no purist I break out the gear for salmon with the best of them when they are running. I am a fisherman plan and simple and I like to fish, but when I pick up a fly rod I like to feel the strike and not watch a bobber float down a river.
    Fly fishing is an awesome thing and if it was easy everyone would be doing it, and now thanks to guides putting bobbers on every beginners fly rods everyone can do it.
    got'a'boat (the man in the red pontoon)

Default Slow day?

I think all the blue gill have already risen to the surface and are a little leader shy...

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25331

Appletini?

Well, you asked "What is considered true flyfishing?" Then you include this comment in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Seems to me people criticizing other fisherman for their tactics are better off keeping their opinions to themselves because the only people who’s (you know what) doesn’t stink are the braided horse hair/ floatant fly fisherman… And I really doubt theres many of those if any on this board. Some people’s fly fishing egos seem to get way out of controll.

Which makes this thread a troll.

If your using a fly rod/reel your a fly fisherman.

If you use a spinning rod and lures/bait your a spinhead.

Either way your a fisherman. Its the ones that need to keep every fish they catch from the river...every single day.

A true fly fisherman is one who wields fly rod and reel, unconcerned for the opinions and biases of the masses. One who does it his way, and on his terms.

It is not a popularity contest with people, rather a contest between you and the fish.

Something about opinions and orifices, everyone has one....and they all stink or something.
    "No matter how hard you try bro, you just can't turn a douche into a rose." (Anonymous)

Jbird. I don't know what a troll is, but after re-reading my post, I realized that part you called me out on was a bit more of my opinion than I really wanted on there. I could see how that might offend a few people, and for that I am sorry, I deleted that bit and toned it down a little. Not trying to stir up a fight here at all. My overall point was why can't we all just get along and show respect for eachother's fishing tactics? Since we all have the same goal of catching and releasing fish? And I realize I could have gone with a better title since I'm not exactly asking a question... but I can't change that one... But well put Golden obsession.
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-06-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

I look at it this way;
    If you went to the inlaws family reunion and one of them fished would you really care how they fished or would you be stoked to talk fishing?

Can you tell I just spent 3 days in Mississippi talking cotton farming?

I'm thinking that we should present this to the California Legislature, I'll bet that they could sort it out and come with some news laws that would define it to a tee... and only cost us taxpayers a couple mil.
    Live every day like its your last and one day you'll get it right.