Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on South Snake / Henry's Fork trip

What people consider "fishable" varies from person to person. Last season, the many guides I talked to didn't consider the S. Fork truly fishable until the end of July. Yes, you could fish it with weighted nymphs under a bobber, but it was cold, fast, very high, off-color and not very interesting to fish. According to the USGS gauge at Heise it was at 20,000 cfs from July 1 to about July 25 and that, to me and most others I know, is too much water for fun fishing. Maybe there were some exceptional days, but most guides I know went elsewhere if they had a choice in July.

Though there can certainly be very good fishing in July, there can also be years like last year when the fishing is marginal at best. At least one lodge on the S. Fork offered refunds or changes of dates to guests who had booked last July because they didn't think it was fair to charge for the poor fishing caused by high water. With the already high reservoir levels right now, that could also be a possibility in 2012.

Default Thanks Guys!

A huge thanks to all the guys that posted replies. You guys have made a positive impact on our future trip.

This is a great resource with a great supporting group. I look forward to posting some pics when I get home.

Thanks again,
    Scott