Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The River Why

I was trying to be discrete about the movie...not letting the cat out of the bag. *But now that it's out I couldn't agree with you more a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!!*The casting left a lot to be desired, the time line was out of sink...they did a poor job of developing the characters and left out too much of the story. *

The footage where Eddie leaves Guy on the river hooked to a huge salmon off a frail 6 or 7X leader is backwards...instead of Gus following the salmon up river to it's spawning grounds all the footage in the movie shows Guy going downstream with this salmon????

It's too bad, it had so much potential. *Duncan wouldn't even watch the movie and now I understand why!
    Last edited by FRSam; 01-03-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Default Awful.

Yeah, I have been following some of the developments of this movie all year... much has been written, http://troutunderground.com/2010/10/...-movie-review/

I really enjoyed the book so the other day while cruising the local movie rental place I talked my wife into checking it out (thankfully we had a back up plan, too)

It was excruciatingly painful to watch - warning: you will never get that hour and half of your life back.

Very often the movie falls woefully short of the book. This was one classic example. Although, looking at the actress, Amber Heard, provided a glimmer appeal.

Those that feared this movie may instigate another wave of popularity in Fly Fishing (LOL after the impact of A River Runs Through It) need not worry. There's likely more people placated by googling dreadful Go-Pro Youtube videos of fly fishing, instead.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

I Find the occasional go-pro video to be fun! especially if they filmed a top water grab. Otherwise, yeah... not so great

For sure, Sammy. I'm not hating on all the Go-Pro videography. Some fishing videos are done REALLY well - visually beautiful and inspiring. I've seen a few that stoke the hell out of me!

... but then there's a lot of junk out there as well. Just like Hollywood.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

Wow, and I thought with all those great actors it would be an awesome movie.

I mean, William Hurt and William Devane? Too bad, but glad you warned us!!

EO