Thread: Fly Selection?????

Default Fly Selection?????

So just out of curiosity I thought I'd do a little survey of the forum here....with the January 1st opener on the AR swiftly approaching what's your fly selection going to look like? And more specifically what will be your first choice to hit the water?

If I had heated underwear and socks and were going to go I would be using my light Spey rod with a short Skagit head and 10' T-11 MOW tip, one foot of 20# Maxima Ultra Green and 4 feet 8 pound test Maxima Ultra Green and a small ~2 inch black leech with a orange metal bead on front.

Be sure to have a 2012 CA fishing license and a 2012 SH punch card.

Also be sure to pinch down the barbs on all your SH flies to be safe.

*I would like to fish from somewhere below the Sunrise Bridger and down stream to miss the crowds and to maybe find a suicidal fresher fish.

**In Jan/Feb/March on a nice overcast day I would like to float the river with Andy Guibord and hit many riffles in one day.

*** If you are above the Sunrise Bridge and you can see Steelhead in shallow water you are in the wrong place. "Sight Casting" to Steelhead that are paired up in shallow water to spawn is not sporting.You need to fish the drop offs and slots where the fresher fish are holding.

It will be nice to see what happens on January first.....

If it is not good right off it can be good in February and even March.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'm thinking something in olive, my most productive flies this fall right up till now have been olive soft hackles on the smaller side, long leader on a steelhead scandi. With the low flow and clear water I think I may start off with floating line and wait a bit before putting on any sinking tips or just go with the long leader/heavy fly.