Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perspective....

Cool Perspective....

Thought a bit of perspective in relation to Striped Bass might be in order.... So, here goes:

• Stripers were introduced in CA in 1878 (133 years ago).
    • California became a state in 1850.
    • The F & G Commission was established in 1870 (DFG didn't exist).
    • Nobody alive today was alive when stripers were introduced.
    • There have been at least 133 generations of Stripers born in waters of this state since they were introduced.
    • Stripers are designated a predatory, invasive, non-native species by DFG.
    • Stripers contribute to the economic health of Bay/Delta communities and commercial and recreational fisheries, statewide.
    • Stripers inhabit many lakes/reservoirs connected to the water projects and some that aren't.
    • Stripers have gained the status of gamefish in CA law.

Yet, Stripers have been targeted for population/size reduction in order to provide a chance for protected species to benefit. Noble cause; but this will be undertaken with the understanding that there are no guarantees that the protected species will benefit from the exercise.

This is recognition (not condemnation) of the situation we find ourselves in....
    Last edited by Darian; 12-27-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, what you don't understand is that 130 years later the taste buds of stripers has changed and now they are hungry for salmon. It was a ploy by the stripers to trick the salmon into being comfortable around them so they could then later eat them.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

After they introduced the Stripers and the Shad, but before they put in all the dams in CA, there were 100 of thousands of Stripers, Shad, salmon and Steelhead.....

Lets take down more dams.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Question Con-Fish....

Good one Scott....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The reason stripers were brought to frisco bay was to feed the miners that were using the city to stock up to go miming.20 yrs later there was a commerical fishery on stripers and sturgeon.

Cool Stripersssss....

Amazing fish aren't they.... Even after enduring a commercial/recreational fishery and benign neglect, Stripers are still numerous....

Since I keep a fish for the table now and then, I rate the smaller ones as really good eating too. Of course, I don't want to become a human thermometer. So, it's not often that I keep one.

Author unknown

The Fish Bulletin at the link below is a very good source of information about fishes introduced into California and it includes a good write-up on striped bass:

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5rm0h8qg

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gingras View Post
    The Fish Bulletin at the link below is a very good source of information about fishes introduced into California and it includes a good write-up on striped bass:

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5rm0h8qg
    Very cool document!

_SHig

Default More Perspective

California Department of Fish & Game
    Last edited by Wing Blue; 06-05-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread

Post Mission Statement....

Hmmm,.... Wing Blue,.... Waiting for the other shoe to drop....

Marty,.... Thanks for the link to that document. It's really interesting (including the footnotes). This one's gonna take some time to digest. I'm curious. Are these documents/reports available in hard copy If so, is there some type of listing and a location where I could pick up a copy I really don't like to read this much material on-line.... (can't stay awake )

Author unknown