Thread: Action Alert: Remove Dams on the Klamath River Now!

Default Action Alert: Remove Dams on the Klamath River Now!

Hello everyone.

I just posted an article on my website, www.thegrabmovie.com by Andrew Orahoske, the Conservation Director of the Environmental Protection Information Center, urging us to send a message to the Secretary of the Interior for the early removal of the Klamath dams.

As most of you know, the dams are tentatively scheduled for removal in 2020. None of it is certain. I personally fear that waiting too long, only gives bureaucrats and owners of the dams, the opportunity to avoid their responsibility in removing them.

Please read the article. EPIC urges us to include certain points in our comments, including minimum water flows until the dams are removed and restoration of the wetlands in the Klamath and Tule Lake basin. I for one agree with minimum flows, but the restoration of wetlands seems a very delicate operation that, I for one believe, Mother Nature is best left to handle once water is able to flow naturally. I'm reminded of some of the efforts that were done on the upper Trinity River recently and their questionable results in a much more stable environment.

Go to my site www.thegrabmovie.com to read the article and click the "Take Action Now" link within the article to post your comments to the Secretary of the Interior.

Happy Holidays everyone,
    Jeremy Quinlan
    Weight Forward Films
    Last edited by weightforwardfilms; 12-23-2011 at 09:00 AM.

In the past 100 years or so they dammed the hell out of west coast of the US.

Now they are taking out some of those dams; Mostly the ones that are filled in with silt and are mostly just like a water fall now.

I think that all these dams are what reduced the salmon and steelhead runs to what they are today by stopping the natural flow of spawning gravel and stopping the upstream migration of the fish. Plus in some case the new reservoirs were covering the prime spawning areas.

I think that in all these years they figured out that hatcheries were not the answer either.

Every time they take one of these old dams down, we are going to get closer to having naturally sustained salmon and steelhead runs again....yahoo!.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Dams, agriculture, logging, and land development are all part of what reduced our andromous runs to about 10% of what they use to be.

I am pretty excited to see a new younger generation of steelhead anglers who will carry on the fight when people like Darian and I are gone. They will fight for clean free running rivers with catch-n-release self sustaining wild Steelhead runs.

Thank God that they were able to make the movie, "Rivers of a Lost Coast", to fully document what we had and what we lost.

This way future generations of people can hook a screaming, jumping chrome fish, right in the Pacific ocean.......

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I look forward to the day that I can fish that river in its' free-flowing state. Many of us won't even recognize the middle section, which has become very channelized and choked by riparian growth, years after the natural flows are returned.

I believe Salmonids are very resilient animals, look what they've endured so far. Give them the opportunity and space to thrive and they will!

Jeremy Quinlan
    Weight Forward Films

Amen......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've been waiting for years for this to happen. Unfortunately, too many years. By the time the dam is removed I'll be in my mid 70's. Wading is getting hard now and I don't even want to think about it then.
    East Bay Ed