Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Brown trout on the Truckee River

Have to imagine there aren't many other trout in the vicinity of that one

Default Spawners

I don't have a grudge against this guy, and he's not the only one that fishes for spawners in this stream. There's a cadre of poachers and gear guys that get after them as well.

But a possible outcome could be a fish that's too stressed to spawn, or simply dumps the eggs and returns to the lake, or abosorbs them. The fish obviously has the desireable genes.

I've bonked some browns in my life. Once I became proficient, however, I realized that a handful of guys like me that are after them constantly, could alter the resource. So I don't harrass spawners.

We've got to realize that we will be left with what we make. Right now we're fighting to keep the striper fishery. If exports increase, it could mean an end to sport salmon and steelhead fishing as a bureaucratic means of sustaining the runs. The exotic issues like invasive snails, carp, mitten crabs-- and the pike, which nearly decimated one of the most productive trout lakes in the western hemisphere (Davis), are competing with us. We need to carefully consider our ethics when we go out to recreate.

I suggest closing the lake tribs to fishing after October 15th.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Default Some Clarification

Knowing Matt personally I know he wasn't out targeting spawners. He has better fishing ethics then a lot of people I have fished with.

The sectoin of the river he caught that fish in doesn't traditionally support redds.

As far as the video. Matt didn't post it on any of the boards. He wasn't going to show anyone in the first place. He uploaded it to Vimeo so his friends could watch. Next thing he knows Moldy Chum got a hold of the link and it went viral from there.
    Last edited by BigOkieWhiteBoy916; 12-23-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Matt's a friend of mine as well. I like him. I like his approach to our sport. I had a feeling when Bill posted this that it'd bring out a lot of know it alls who haven't had a similar experience as well as others who just couldn't hold their criticism back. It doesn't always go the way we'd like, and sometimes we might do things that others, from the sidelines might find as an opening for Monday morning quarterbacking. I thought it was a scream when he took the plunge, and I'm happy for him. No issues here. Nice fish Matt!
    RFT

I agree with Renoflytyer. Let the haters hate. Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with people who fish actively spawning fish on redds BUT no one should stop fishing because it spawning season. Fish are in different stages of the spawn....pre-spawn, spawn, and post-spawn. What about steelhead. Is everyone going to stop fishing for them because they are in spawn mode, unlikely. NICE FISH!! Wish I had that experience.

That's cool that you guys can vouch for Matt. I'm sure he's a solid dude, and like I said it's a great fish! I don't know that river well at all and couldn't tell you what areas hold more redds. I don't think questioning the video makes anybody a hater however. We questioned, you guys answered, there you have it.

Speaking of big fish, go sharks!

Glad some friends of his came to the rescue. I saw who guy caught a very nice trout and took a spill trying to land it. It's happened to me (the spill part ). Always love to see all of the critics come out whenever someone catches a nice fish. Probably my least favorite part of fly fishing.

Merry Christmas!

Dan

Default Skinney/ shallow

I'm not hatin, but a fish in skinney/shallow water like that would of left the planet with somebody that close and casting to it. So it's kind of obvious it was claming it's ground (redd). Just my perspective of the video.

Default edit

haters?i guess so.I don't know the guide.don't want to know a guide that targets spawners.thank you to people that say on this forum he is solid.great i'm sure he is.i guess he just cant resist looking like hero .fish what you want,and when you want, but please don't make a production promoting catching spawning fish.use some discretion and maybe edit the marginal stuff to avoid the insults and questions.fishing a stream all times of the yr. no problem.but molesting a beauty like that with multiple cameras rolling?. to capture the money shot....come-on.where do you draw the line. .after hooking the fish the guide states, "he was bigger than i thought".what?he knew the fish was there?sporting!too many coincidences for me man.pre mediated glory.best thing is.... the said creek has been exposed for all man to enjoy.can't wait for next year..i am gonna line that said creek 50 deep shoulder to shoulder in november when browns spawn like it was the Kenai river with enthusiast's looking to catch a random brown in skinny water. targeting spawners is now cool right.half you guys replying thinks it's alright? right.fishing for spawners in one foot of water is shameful at best,and in no way should any steward of the streams or professional promote this behavior.i am sure the guide is a nice guy,but i wonder what his motives were fishing in ankle deep water with cameras rollin during the spawn. i am just stunned by what some people find acceptable.again nice fish.just wish i hadn't seen the show..... happy holidays everybody.
    Last edited by chainsaw510; 12-24-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw510 View Post
    haters?i guess so.I don't know the guide.don't want to know a guide that targets spawners.thank you to people that say on this forum he is solid.great i'm sure he is.i guess he just cant resist looking like hero .fish what you want,and when you want, but please don't make a production promoting catching spawning fish.use some discretion and maybe edit the marginal stuff to avoid the insults and questions.fishing a stream all times of the yr. no problem.but molesting a beauty like that with multiple cameras rolling?. to capture the money shot....come-on.where do you draw the line. .after hooking the fish the guide states, "he was bigger than i thought".what?he knew the fish was there?sporting!too many coincidences for me man.pre mediated glory.best thing is.... the said creek has been exposed for all man to enjoy.can't wait for next year..i am gonna line that said creek 50 deep shoulder to shoulder in november when browns spawn like it was the Kenai river with enthusiast's looking to catch a random brown in skinny water. targeting spawners is now cool right.half you guys replying thinks it's alright? right.fishing for spawners in one foot of water is shameful at best,and in no way should any steward of the streams or professional promote this behavior.i am sure the guide is a nice guy,but i wonder what his motives were fishing in ankle deep water with cameras rollin during the spawn. i am just stunned by what some people find acceptable.again nice fish.just wish i hadn't seen the show..... happy holidays everybody.
    You really didn't read anything I said. That's cool. You're entitled to your view. Knowing the LT (which is obvious you don't) there are no redds anywhere close to where that fish was caught.

Once again Matt didn't blow up this video. It was Moldy Chum, so if you want to blame someone for the "increased pressure" or "promoting the river" blame them.

You assume there were two camera men. How do you know? Were you there? Because there wasn't.

You can assume and bash him all you want. He is probably more pissed then you are that this video got the attention it did.

My suggestion to you Mr. Chainsaw is to get a hold of Matt and talk to him privately about your feelings instead of hiding behind your keyboard and bashing him on a public forum.

Here is his website which has his contact info.

http://mattheronflyfishing.com/
    Last edited by BigOkieWhiteBoy916; 12-24-2011 at 11:26 AM.