Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default no love

it's probably best to leave spawning fish alone.just a random day fishing right?this fishing guide has 2 camera men set up for the self hype promotion and a giant net for the monster BROWN, obviously they had been molesting this fish for who knows how long.i really love the way the guide tackled the fish and handles him like a true pro.hopefully the beautiful Brown had dropped it's roe before the circus showed up. I don't advocate this kind of fishing or the way this guide handled the fish .targeting spawning fish....not much of a sport,and allowing the video go online.wow.that is a nice BROWN but.....................I wish this guide luck,but this video makes my stomach turn ps. checkout that bad boy below i attached.he took that tiny mayfly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5300561.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	3935  
    Last edited by chainsaw510; 12-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Bill, wanted to mention that fish was caught on the LT.
    Easy there, chainsaw.
    Matt was genuinely shocked at the size.
    I'm sure a couple folks had hooked it and lost out. Knowing that, can make you a bit nervous...
    I gotta say, it's hard for a guide to avoid thinking along these lines.
    You guys all want to know we can do it, and by inference, you can too.
    Matt didn't post it here, and it happened a while ago.
    I often carry a Go Pro in case, and his big net is pretty standard. You just never know up here.

Oh, and that Brown's still out there getting bigger.

How about we all put the cameras down, discontect youtube, and go back to lying, eh?

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 12-19-2011 at 10:38 PM.

beautiful!

eric
    fresno, ca.

I've seen this video and that is an awesome fish. Can't help but wonder if this was good practice. Fly hits the water with a decent set of splashes so I don't know about a "tiny may fly"

Seems to me based on the season, type of water, etc... that this was a spawning fish.

I dunno, fish seems fine and I'm guessing that beast will get a few more years of making babies in. As a guide I hope he teaches his clients how to spot the spawning fish and that they should be left alone.

Sammy, I agree. Guides are supposed to be caretakers/teachers.
    Brown's move up into tribs a while before they actually spawn.
    They will linger. I'm sure they are in the mood...
    Fall allows a small window to target larger fish (Trophy time) before they actually spawn.
    But they don't run on calender time, every year is different, so it ends up being a judgement call we each have to make.
    Last edited by bigfly; 12-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Anyone know why the water is so low?

Default Oh Well...

I received numerous calls and e-mails, from clients as far away as Chicago and Miami, about the beautiful Brown that Matt caught. He didn't mention where it was caught and merely mentioned the Tahoe area.

For sure, Matt's video went viral nationally...we local guides/instructors all have different ways as to how to market our services. Personally I like to stay relativey low-key...having netted Browns up to 28" on the LT (on video) and decided to keep things quiet.

Those who are familiar with the Truckee area were aware of the approximate location. I believe it was caught (tackled?) during extremely low-flows on the LT per request of the DF & G. There was four (4) days of electro-shocking there, October 30-November 3. I helped on the first day and then went to the Trinity.The day I helped we measured one buck at 29" and a few in the 23"-25" range. I'm hoping that Matt helped at least one day also.

During the low-flows some of us did not fish the LT because the trout, most especially the migrating and spawning Browns were very vulnerable...and we preferred not to harass them.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Thumbs down

Spot fishinin spawner's . Especially a egg layer like that!!

Agreed that there is something kinda gross about this video... from the time of year, to the low flows, to the desperate dive to net the fish in inches of water in a tiny stream... wasn't there personally of course, but it just doesn't look good in terms of fly fishing ethics. I hope I'm wrong. It is a beautiful fish...