Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather gloves?

Default Cold weather gloves?

Anybody have a suggestion for a good cold weather flyfishing glove? Something that can get wet at freezing and below temps and still pretend to keep your hands warm?

I usually use fingerless gloves, but I'd be open to full gloves if they're thin enough to provide dexterity.

What'd be cool is an waterproof breathable insulated glove with a thinner stretch membrane fingertips.

_SHig

Closest I've come to that is the Simms Fishing Gloves...since I have arthritis in my hands now I also put a hand warmer on the back of my hand to help with blood circulation. Nothing really helps but I can go longer. I also carry three pair of gloves when fishing places like Eagle Lake during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    Closest I've come to that is the Simms Fishing Gloves...since I have arthritis in my hands now I also put a hand warmer on the back of my hand to help with blood circulation. Nothing really helps but I can go longer. I also carry three pair of gloves when fishing places like Eagle Lake during the winter.
    These?

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/win...7.159.140.236#

_SHig

I generally use the Simms fingerless gloves with the mitten option (folds back until needed) however, I still use neopreme gloves (mine are 20 yr old Orvis but pick your brand) for really cold (read: winter steelheading) fishing.

Paul

Wwwwaaahhhhhh my hands are cold, next you'll want someone to cast your rod because it is too cold. It is only going to be about 20 degrees when we hit the water on Sunday. Man up buddy!!!

I have a pair of half neoprene and half fleece gloves, if I can find them you can try them out on Sunday and you can keep them if you like them. Now stop your whining!!!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I just use the standard cheapo, military issue wool gloves. Theyre thin so I can cast and strip with no problems. Tying knots takes practice. but theyre 100% wool so they retain body heat even when damp. It helps to keep hand warmers in your pockets too.

I cannot get used to fishing with fingerless gloves. They just feel awkward and the coldest part of my hands are my fingers.

Hey Shig,

Maybe you can build a pair of ultralight gloves.

I have fleece, wool and neoprene fishing gloves. Nothing really keeps my hands "warm" on cold fishing outings, but these new Simms are a pretty good tradeoff. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/win...ger_glove.html They give you much more feel and movement than the older fleece models. Still keeps you relatively warm, even if your hands get wet. They also have a handwarmer, packet, pocket in the wrist area. If it's really cold, I'd add another in the palm, or back of the hand. On my last trip, I left my gloves on all day. It warmed up enough to take them off, but they are so comfortable, I left them on.

briansII

Quote Originally Posted by briansII View Post
    Hey Shig,

Maybe you can build a pair of ultralight gloves.
    <lol> Don't think I haven't considered it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Wwwwaaahhhhhh my hands are cold, next you'll want someone to cast your rod because it is too cold. It is only going to be about 20 degrees when we hit the water on Sunday. Man up buddy!!!

I have a pair of half neoprene and half fleece gloves, if I can find them you can try them out on Sunday and you can keep them if you like them. Now stop your whining!!!!
    I have some of those as well and I'll have them for sure! Don't hate, I wouldn't be whiney except the drugs are FUBARin' the nerves in my hands and feet. I don't even know what the 35 degree water will do to my piggies!

What you can do is drive the RV up there tonight and park it on shore for warm-up sessions between fish...

_SHig

Default Patagonia R1 Gloves

SHig... try these - http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=81720-0-155 I have these gloves and they work well in extreme conditions when you want full coverage on your digits. Good luck and Fish On...

KK
    Angling On The Fly Travel
    (916) 539-3474
    www.AnglingOnTheFly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Kaneko View Post
    SHig... try these - http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=81720-0-155 I have these gloves and they work well in extreme conditions when you want full coverage on your digits. Good luck and Fish On...

KK
    Those look nice! I'll have to try some on...

_S