Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <b>DFG wants EIR's on private waters..ponds/lakes</b>

Default <b>DFG wants EIR's on private waters..ponds/lakes</b>

DFG is proposing that all ponds and lakes that plant hatchery fish do Environmental Reports to determine the negative impacts using hatchery fish....YES THIS SOUNDS REDICULIOUS, however it's true, I attended a DFG meeting here in San Diego yesterday. An EIR could cost upwards to $100,000, thus closing many private waters to fishing in California. This is real. Here is a link with more information and a pre-written letter to DFG you can send. http://keepamericafishing.salsalabs....ction_KEY=4054
    Last edited by Todd; 12-16-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: removed HTMl

Hello... We are from the Government and We are here to help you......Ohhh Boy
    Last edited by Frank Alessio; 12-16-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who profits from such ridiculous regulations...follow the money......

Default Agency policies are conflicting

Let's see here...
    We've got the agency trying to rewrite it's aquatic constituion by abolishing striped bass.

Now we have the same agency potentially putting their hatcheries out of business.

Is this the result of another lawsuit they have no testosterine to fight?
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Post F&G Proposal....

Let's not be so hasty to judge here.... First this post is a day late. The meeting took place yesterday. Second, After reading the only proposal I could find on the Commission Agenda related to this subject appears to apply only to fish planted and used in aquaculture.... Now I didn't read the proposal in depth but a cursory scan didn't reflect any requirement to complete an EIR on anything other than for aquaculture operations.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The California Department of Fish and Game Manages People..... They do a terrible job of managing our Wildlife... Mountain Lions are eating what is left of our Deer and Diane Finestine is doing her best to get rid of the Stripers now DFG is going to help Her....It will be interesting to watch the Blowup when they target the Blackbass... That is actually a pretty good sized industry..... JayBird pop some PopCorn....Oh wait they need it for Fuel...

Default Don't shoot the messenger

Darian, please go back and read my post in it's entirety, note I referenced being at the meeting "Yesterday" the day it occurred. Unfortunately, i had to leave before the item came up on the agenda. The commission went into executive session around 9:30am, for at least an hour, then a lunch break at noon, thus pushing this agenda item to mid to late afternoon, when I had a prior engagement.

Coincidentally, I sat next to Orange county Senator Tom Harmon, who was there to speak against this issue. He was allowed to be first speaker so he could leave to resume his duties. The Farm Bureau also was represented as were several angling organizations.

I was told by someone much more in the know than I, that this issue was related to a law suit by an environmental group, I believe (don't hold me to this), that was related to hatchery fish in aquaculture waters, so DFG then decided to include all ponds and lakes on private lands? Tracie this answers your question re law suits etc......

Never the less my post provided a link to more information this issue. The link and information was published in The Log, an excellent SoCal FREE publication (twice a month) dedicated to the boating and angling communities. http://www.thelog.com

DFG steam rolled over the sports fishing community and citizens of California when putting in place the MLPA's, especially here in SoCal, so whether today it's aquaculture they are going after is not the big issue, because tomorrow it will be you they want!

Thanks for your input and time....
    Todd

Default Dont' Shoot the messanger

I forgot to mention: in my humble opinion NorCal has the greatest number of private fishing waters, more are showing here in SoCal, but I think the majority are up north...I've fished many of them many times.

Having said that I thought it strange that DFG is addressing this issue here in SoCal, not up North where I think more people would be interested to learn about these issues. That is why I posted the info, I felt it was important that people up North are aware of this issue.

What are the environmental impacts of stocking private waters with hatchery fish?

Quote Originally Posted by royewest View Post
    What are the environmental impacts of stocking private waters with hatchery fish?
    a newt might live there (and want to be president, someday)