Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: <b>DFG wants EIR's on private waters..ponds/lakes</b>

Consider that this practice has been going for around 120 years, with no known negative impacts, however positive impacts....numerous.

Many environmental law suits are brought about simply because someone thinks what if there are or could be a negative impact....again follow the money....

Post Regs for Aquaculture....

OK everyone,.... I've read more of the proposed changes (on the F&G Comm website) and can say that a requirement for an EIR is not included in this proposal.

This is a permit process that is spelled out in its entirety within the proposed change. DFG accepts applications and issues the permit. The process involves a number of steps which include meeting specified requirements and completion of some paper work. Not unlike any other commercial operation required to have a permit from DFG. I didn't see a requirement for a fee but it's not beyond the realm of reality that one will be required at some point. Assuming a permit is denied for any reason, there is an appeal process included.

On the surface, this doesn't appear to be a particularly difficult or onerous change. It is, of course, an additional regulation and its certain to have unintended consequences (like everything else in life)....

If you're inclined to read the proposal yourselves, go to the Commissions website and bring up the Agenda for the December meeting. Look for the proposal and select the item from the link provided there. Enjoy....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default DFG and commissioners

This from yesterday's San Diego Union-Tribune -
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...nges-californ/

Best to all,
    Larry S

Thumbs up Reeeeee Jected....!!!!

Laryy,.... Did you notice the article in the side-bar about the guy catching the 50 pound+ Yelloowtail from a Kayak??? That was an amazing accomplishment. Now, I have a target for my Squid fly pattern.... MMM, MMM Hamachi!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default yakking

Darian:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...tail-la-jolla/

Those waters have squid in them frequently. Scripps and LaJolla Underwater Canyons
    are the draw. Cousteau filmed much of his "Night of the Squid" there.
    This past year was a banner year for big white sea bass in that area. With the South
    Coast MLPA to take effect on Jan 1st, I'm wondering how much of that water will be
    closed. We surf rats are losing about 1/2 mile of beach from Scripps Pier to the north.
    The spotfin croakers frequent that stretch almost all year long. Gotta stop this post now
    before I start another MLPA rant!
    Best to all,
    Larry S

Larry, thanks for your input, I'm glad UT wrote about the outcome of the meeting. Interesting article. I saw a map in West Marine the other day that showed the MLPA boundaries with yellow marker buoys shown on the map.

To cap this discussion it should be noted the rejection was not due to DFG, or the environmentalists. They will be back, and in some form that will inhibit the sport of fishing.....

While that does sound ridiculous, DFG is probably only responding to the fact that they just got supremely sued over hatchery trout by Pacific Rivers Council and Center For Biological Diversity (started by Stanford Law School students by the way... nice work jackass).

I'm certain that this is in relation to this same issue and that DFG is just trying to cover their respective rear ends.
    fish on, biaatch!!

Arrow Okaaayy....

"To cap this discussion it should be noted the rejection was not due to DFG, or the environmentalists. They will be back, and in some form that will inhibit the sport of fishing....."

Todd,... not sure where you were going with this. As is normal process, the Fish & Game Commission rejected the proposal. Once DFG makes a formal proposal, it wouldn't normally reject/withdraw it. Not sure what environmentalists had to do with the proposal in the first place....

The article in the newspaper indicates the cost figures mentioned for required permits reflect a wide range of $ amounts between low and high estimates. The Commission directed DFG not to bring this proposal back to them for consideration. That means that DFG has to go directly to the legislature if they choose to pursue it further. I doubt they'll do that....

Now, I'm not coming down on either side of the hatchery issue but have read several articles in newspapers and a second hand account from a university report that talks about how hatcheries contribute to a number of problems for protected, native fish. Also, one of the stressors/threats for protected species identified by DFG in their proposal to change bag, possession and size limits for Striped Bass was hatcheries. So, maybe the motivation for the rejected proposal was based on that same info.

Author unknown