Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coastal Stripers....

http://www.pajarowatershed.org/archi...0Breaching.pdf

Large (190 to 380 mm Standard Length) striped bass (Morone saxatilis) were apparently common in August of 1991, although none were captured in May, June or early August gillnetting. They apparently entered the open estuary in mid-summer. Striped bass were also common in the Salinas River lagoon in 1991, although the sandbar closed in that system by early June. In 1992 only 3 striped bass were collected in the Pajaro River lagoon. Striped bass cannot spawn in the Pajaro River, but schools of bass probably opportunistically enter the estuary to feed.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/docs/FishGuideR3.pdf

Lower Rodeo Lagoon: This saltwater lagoon is also located on Fort Cronkite, across the road from the upper Lagoon. Winter storms periodically break open the sand bar at the mouth and allow several species of ocean fish to enter. Species often found in this lagoon include striped bass, starry flounder, surf perch, and smelt.

Salinas River: This river has a poor steelhead run. Warmwater game and non-game fish are present in some areas. Striped bass are often found in the lagoon.

http://www.flycasters.org/index.php?...id=8&Itemid=25

Gill Net Fish Survey of Pajaro River, Aug 7, 2011: We then returned to the vehicles to have lunch and prepared to retrieve the gill nets. Now the fun was about to begin. What fish would be in the nets? The first net retrieved was a large mesh net which recovered some very large Carp, Sucker and Pike Minnow. As the nets were pulled up, a surprise to many of us was the capture of several large Striped Bass. After the final net was pulled Joel and Jerry had tallied 6 large Striped Bass. The large number of species included Carp, Sucker, Pike Minnow, Black Crappie, Bluegill, wild Gold Fish and Striped Bass. The gill net size was too small as to not capture some of the smaller species. No Largemouth Bass were captured and may have avoided the nets as they mostly inhabit the shoreline areas.

http://www.mcwra.co.monterey.ca.us/S...S_2001/5_6.htm

Experimental stocking of striped bass was initiated in 1971 to take advantage of abundant shad populations in the open waters of the reservoir. Striped bass are an estuarine species originally from the Atlantic coast and cannot successfully spawn in most reservoirs. It was thought that their numbers could be controlled in San Antonio Reservoir. Regular annual plants of striped bass were started in 1976 and continued into the 1980's. The striped bass fishery was quite popular with fish as large as 30 pounds being caught. Current management objectives do not favor striped bass in San Antonio Reservoir since this species can prey heavily on other fish species and result in management conflicts with other species such as steelhead. Stocking has been discontinued but there is a small self-sustaining population of striped bass in the reservoir.

http://www.pajarowatershed.org/archi...0%20ENTRIX.pdf

Most of the fish inhabiting the Pajaro River Lagoon (refer to Table 9) are euryhaline saltwater fish with broad salinity tolerances (Swanson and HRG, 1993), including Pacific herring (Clupea harengus), topsmelt (Atherinops affinis), staghorn sculpin (Leptocottus armatus), starry flounder (Platichthyes stellatus), shiner surfperch (Cymatogaster aggregata), and striped bass (Morone saxitilis). Resident estuarine fishes include: threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus), arrow goby (Clevlandia ios), and tidewater goby (Eucyclogobius newberryi).

http://www.stripersurf.com/california_history_4.html

An Historical Review of the Fish and Wildlife Resources of the San Francisco Bay Area by John E. Skinner WATER PROJECTS BRANCH REPORT No. 1 June, 1962

Spawning Locations. In California a few striped bass spawn in the larger coastal rivers, the Russian River particularly, and formerly the Salinas River. A few apparently persist in Elkhorn Slough, which enters Monterey Bay, and spawn there also. The major tributaries to San Francisco Bay are the principal spawning grounds, however, particularly those above Antioch and Collinsville.

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=...re&anchor.id=0

Many interested individuals contend that the striped bass which occur in the coastal waters south of the Golden Gate are of a separate race from those of the San Francisco Bay region. The bass, for instance, that inhabit Monterey Bay and its flanking sloughs and rivers, are believed to spawn there year after year. These rather serious contentions on the part of several interested sportsmen led to a study of the population of these fish occurring in this region several miles south of the Golden Gate. The results of this study seemingly disproves the theory that they are a separate population. For instance, no evidence of bass fry was obtained during the spring or summer when they should have been found in great quantities if the mature fish spawned in these southern regions. The smallest bass observed were in their second year or three inches in length and larger. The large bass examined during May, or about the time spawning was in progress in the San Francisco Bay region, contained ovaries in mature condition, but they were far from ripe. Over 95 per cent of the fish examined were females. None of the males were in ripe condition. Another fact noted as a result of seine hauls in Salinas River and Waddell Creek during May, 1927, was the complete absence of the third and fourth year classes. The second, sixth, seventh and eighth year groups were quite evident while the fifth year class was represented by only a few individuals. Samples of specimens received from anglers in this region were well over twenty inches in length, which classed them at five years of age or older. An interesting point was made when sportsmen reported that good catches of large mature bass are made in the spring until May, after which time they apparently disappear and as a consequence very few are taken. Late in July and early August these large bass again appear in Monterey Bay and are caught in considerable numbers. It is not probable that these fish refuse to take the hook during May and June, for in San Francisco Bay anglers have no difficulty in making substantial catches during this period.

The three main points determined, then, in this investigation of the striped bass found along the coast south of San Francisco Bay are as follows: (1) the absence of ripe bass during the spawning season, and the absence of small fry which would be the result of a spawning in this area; (2) the presence of only the second, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth year classes, and the total absence of the third and fourth year classes; and (3) the scarcity of large mature bass during May, June and July as reported by anglers.

All of these points seemingly indicate that the movement of the striped bass along the southern coast of California is entirely seasonal, and the spring months reveal a migration of mature bass back to San Francisco Bay for the purpose of spawning.

Question North by.....

Marty,.... Is there any recent evidence of Stripers in the Russian River I've seen recent reports of Stripers being caught around Stinsons Beach and Bolinas Lagoon but nothing north of those locations. Haven't even heard of any being caught in or around Tomales or Bodega Bays....

There's a bit of photographic and anecdotal evidence that Stripers entered the Russian River to feed (maybe spawning???). I haven't followed much of this area over the years but it seems that the habitat would be very good for Stripers. The one obstacle being the massive sand bar that builds up there until heavy rains blow it out.

Maybe I'll just have to go over there to fish/conduct my own creel survey....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Russian River Similarities to Delta

Darian,

There are, or were, stripers in the Russian in years past. I remember fishing for shad at Johnson's Beach and taking stripers right in town of Guerneville.

Here's an excerpt that I found interesting about problems the Russian was having with it's salmon and steelhead and it matches the problems we're having with the salmon / steelhead runs on the Sac.

Take the problems listed below one by one and see how they match up: 1. Reduced water from pumping, 2. Polluted waste water re-entering the system, 3. Degradation of water chemistry, and 4. Overfishing, but scientist don't consider sea lions a problem.

(Taken from Fly Fishing Specialties comments on rivers)

"Use, overuse combine to continue degradation"

Meanwhile, farmers and other rural users are pumping more water from tributaries during the dry season, further reducing the habitat for young salmonids. Seven municipalities have permits to discharge treated wastewater into the Russian River system during the rainy season. Water quality also is harmed by leaking septic systems and other sources of pollution. It's unclear how the discharges affect salmon and steelhead, although changes in water chemistry and oxygen content are known to be harmful. Degradation of the river isn't the only reason for the decline of salmon and steelhead. Overfishing also is blamed for putting their populations at risk.

Many anglers insist that sea lions, which prey on salmon and steelhead at river mouths, are responsible for diminishing fish runs. But scientists say the marine mammals aren't a significant factor in the species' overall decline.

These problems in the Russian River are the cause of the decline in salmon and steelhead populations, NOT striped bass.
    TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Darian,there are friends of mine that are divers and they are asking for permission to spear stripers.They are seeing fish around bodega and tomales.I know of 30# fish above stinson this summer.Back in the 60's the fly record was held by a gentelman frpm nev.i believe it was 54#out of the umqua.There was a plantin program for awhile in san diego and i know of fish taken this year in long beach and ventura.

There are stripers in the Pajaro river. I hit it on opening day for a few minutes before work, saw a couple landed. Lots of stripers are caught along the beach from the Pajaro to Capitola. My personal best was an 11 pounder near the cement ship.

I wonder if they examined stomach contents of the stripers netted Aug 7 2011 in the Pajaro.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg F; 12-19-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added stuff

Default russian

this summer some folks picked up stripers while small mouth fishing. it was reported and broadcast, as it has been years since it has happened...
    Exit 7

Thumbs up Russian River....

Aha!!!! it only makes sense that Stripers would still enter the Russian River. There's a ready food supply in the form of Salmon/Steelhead smolts released from the hatchery and returning fish in the fall.... So far, the Russian appears to be the northern coastal limit of their travels in recent times.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Picking up this thread a little late, but encouraged about the info. Looking forward to heading down to Santa Cruz in the next couple months and doing some recon from Pajaro to Davenport. Got any recommendations on lines? I'm inclined to use a Rio Outbound Short.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

Default Stripahs!!!....

Wow!!! I completely forgot about this thread. Lots of good info in it. Thanks for reviving it.

I'd say your choice of line is a good one, in general. You don't say what sink rate you'd choose for that area and I haven't fished the mouth of the Pajaro. So, have no idea how deep it is or, assuming it's tidal, whether wave action is a factor when casting/fishing. My choice, if fishing upstream from tidal areas, for full lines would be a floating and a fast sinking Outbound Short. If fishing where wave action is involved, I might choose to use a shooting head (T-11 or T-14???) with a mono running line for distance and to get down quickly.

There're some people on this BB who've fished the mouth of the Pajaro before and, hopefully, will give us both something better than my best guess.

Author unknown

I fished the mouth of the Pajaro river for many years but mainly for steelhead. Yes, we did catch a few stripers but back then the focus was on steelhead. Up until I moved, I use to fish the mouth quite often for perch and stripers. For the stripers I always started fishing at dark on an incoming tide. Some times when you have a minus tide and shallow sand bars, you could hear the stripers chasing the perch in the skinny water. One morning I saw a plug caster who had two stripers around 30lbs each. Caught on a red and white pencil popper. His first one he caught down by Palm beach and buried it in the sand and then walked towards the mouth.
    He hooked one there and then walked back to uncover the first fish. Gotta say they were two nice stripers.

Don't forget the Salinas River mouth. They also have stripers, steelhead and perch. A long walk and a good chance your windows would be smashed when you returned. I think I replaced my driver side window at least 4 times. It's been a few years since I've been fishing the beach but when I retired, I would fish Palm Beach 5 days a week and take the weekend off. Very limited parking early in the morning. The parking lot use to open around 7am. Heck I don't think I could walk over the sand dunes now. But I'm thinking about trying it some time in April right before I leave for Baja....

There's used to be stripers around the sand plant in Seaside but I think that's all private property you have to cross. The steep beaches can be quite dangerous during a high tide and a medium size swell. But a great surfing place. I still have some old photo's of the Sand Plant break

Good ole days

Jay