Thread: Hotel Punta Colorada , November 29-December 13 report part 1 -

Default Hotel Punta Colorada , November 29-December 13 report part 1 -

TRAVEL -

Flew U.S. Airways , no big issues other than paying for checked baggage . Sac to Arizona , Arizona to Los Cabos . Rented a Jetta from Budget , it got killer mileage . Mexican Customs confiscated my homegrown Chiles on the way in , Mex Customs shook me down just short of a body-cavity search on the way out (no biggie) . U.S. Customs confiscated my Mexican Chiles on the way back in .... not amused . No TSA issues , all my stuff was in good shape when we returned .

HOTEL PUNTA COLORADA -

Perfect ! Food was great , lots on tasty new things .... staff is the BEST around , professonal , fast , helpful . We spent the majority of our free time with them , they are all wonderful ! Rooms were spotless , lots of hot water , not a single issue . At well under $100.00 USD for 2 people including 3 meals a day , the best deal going ! great fishing 50 yards from your door , few other tourists around .... still scratching our heads as to why more are not there in November/December ....

CONDITIONS -

Lots of strange stuff going on . First few days flat , then , a South wind in the late morning that would drop and turn around and come from the North (first time I've seen this) . The North wind started right after this - blowing 35+ MPH for 4 days in a row . Stronger than I've seen before . Punta Arena was fishable , but the surf there was frightening to be close to - we caught fish every sesson out but the water was SOOOO bad , I'm still surprised we didn't have a problem . Air temps colder than normal for this time of year , only 2 or 3 days of what I'd consider 'warm' temps . All conditions manageable IF you were prepared - we were !!

On to part 2 - gear , flies , fishing ....

We had some group trips out of our shop to Punta Colorado Resort about 10 years ago that Jim Christensen and Andy Guibord hosted.

http://www.vanwormerresorts.com/hotel/puntacolorada/

One of my friends who went along said it was a beautiful place and that I should take Marilyn there some day.

I guess it is in one of the best fishing areas in Baja.

I think that this must be David's third trip down here.

Can't wait to see some photos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here is some video of a group that Kayak fishes out of Punta Colorado Resort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXdKapFoKyA

Marlin from a Kayak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqVEv...eature=related
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

David,

You mentioned the lack of tourist in the area. It's throughout the Baja, not only in the East Cape and winter time. First, what the media put's on the screen and printed in B&W is keeping a majority of people from traveling to Mexico/Baja. Most if not all the problems are in mainland Mexico and the border towns. More shootings happen here in the states, I'll bet if you add all the shootings and deaths here in California in one night from drugs and gang related incidents, you'd be amazed, maybe not. Hell, you don't even see panhandlers on each corner at every intersection.
    The second thing for the lack of tourist is the time of year. Cold winds, cooler climate and slower fishing keeps a lot of the people away, except for the wind surfers. La Ventana is probably loaded with wind surfers right now but come May through October, it will be packed with fishermen. For me, next year is looking to be a little better than this past year, a few more new people are signing up and I'm getting more inquires every week.
    I hope we see all the big roosters and tuna this coming season along with the big dorado.

Enjoy your stay, I love the Baja - anytime of the year. I was just there

Jay

I think that Baja, especially the lower part, is very insulated from the rest of Mexico.

I just heard that this drug war in Mexico is sending tourist to other countrys now, like Belize.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    David,

You mentioned the lack of tourist in the area. It's throughout the Baja, not only in the East Cape and winter time. First, what the media put's on the screen and printed in B&W is keeping a majority of people from traveling to Mexico/Baja. Most if not all the problems are in mainland Mexico and the border towns. More shootings happen here in the states, I'll bet if you add all the shootings and deaths here in California in one night from drugs and gang related incidents, you'd be amazed, maybe not. Hell, you don't even see panhandlers on each corner at every intersection.
    The second thing for the lack of tourist is the time of year. Cold winds, cooler climate and slower fishing keeps a lot of the people away, except for the wind surfers. La Ventana is probably loaded with wind surfers right now but come May through October, it will be packed with fishermen.
    There are serious problems in mainland Mexico , and Northern Baja . I haven't had ANY problems in Baja Sur , and this was our 5th trip down .

San Lucas and San Jose ? Sure .... more touristy areas are going to have dope . I was offered Mota by an airport porter (w/ a carload of Federalies not 30 feet away !!!) , and I've heard that the hotel areas in these two cities have some robbery and drug issues . I think you'd really have to try hard to get into trouble at the East Cape , especially La Ribera and Punta Colorada .

The crime I have seen at the East Cape is ..... Panga/Motor theft . It seems whenever the mainland Shrimp boats are around Punta Arena , Pangas go missing (9 taken one morning this trip , several recovered without motors ....) . The Shrimpers/gillnetters are under permit out of Sinaloa , and the Cortez would be a MUCH better place without them there .

As I have mentioned several times ..... despite the wind/cool weather , I really wonder why the U.S. flyrodder population doesn't visit this area more in the off season (November-December) . In the 48 days I have spent there , I have been blown-out by the wind exactly 5 times . How's that for terrible weather ?? Beach fishing is fun , inexpensive , and productive , and I almost never see anyone from the States down there . Kinda strange ....

D.~

David,

I think you have found a great place to beach/surf fish..........and very affordable too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I thought Jay's Board trip 3 years ago was the best/safest/funnest I've been on. The next year was even better. Never doubt that trip. La Paz is just cool.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway