Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoopa closed ?

Default Hoopa closed ?

http://www.myoutdoorbuddy.com/fishin...p?fishing=4554

Hoopa tribe closed to all non-tribal fishing?
    This is an interesting development....

Quote Originally Posted by KobeStopper View Post
    http://www.myoutdoorbuddy.com/fishin...p?fishing=4554

Hoopa tribe closed to all non-tribal fishing?
    This is an interesting development....
    I read this yesterday. The article in this weeks TRT actually states that the closure was due to big piles of trash left at the put in and take outs and general disregard by out of area anglers. I called several people I know that live in Hoopa but none knew anything more about this. I've heard for the last few seasons from the tribal fisheries employees that conduct the angler surveys that they have been more frequently having run ins with "problem children" whom were abusive to them. Either way the problems must have become pretty severe for this closure to have been put into effect when you consider the economy in the Hoopa Valley and the huge hits the Tribe has taken with the multiple closures of Xontah (which I think is one of the Tribe's largest businesses) and that the demand for Hoopa forestry products went down the pipe when the housing market collapsed. The recreational fishery was one of the few things they had going that brought out of the area dollars to the reservation.

I sent an email to Masten and some other members of the tribal council yesterday. Haven't heard anything back yet.

I guess they gotta do what they gotta do. Wonder if they will let an Apache fish over there?

i wonder if the tribe even has the Authority to do this. The tribe doesn't have regulatory authority over the river. Ie requiring a tribal fishing permit.

It sound like the tribe closed access to the river.

Looks like the same situation on the Sac at Rd. 48, leave your garbage and lose access.
    What's the next access to get locked up?
    Here in Baja, both locals and fishermen litter the beaches. You're starting to see a lot of debris in the water now

M

This really is a shame. Enough tension already exists between tribal members, sport fisherman, and guides on the Trinity, and as always, the bad apples are just making the situation worse. I'm especially bummed because the lower trinity is my main stomping ground.

Thanks. This helps to answer a few questions.

Here's the latest article from the TRT on this issue.

http://www.tworiverstribune.com/2012/01/access-hoopa/