Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planting trout in Rancho Seco Pond?

Default Planting trout in Rancho Seco Pond?

They usually plant trout about now in Rancho Seco.

Any word out there about this?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    They usually plant trout about now in Rancho Seco.

Any word out there about this?
    Just last week, Bill.

_SHig

Default Crazy ideal

SMUD sponsored 2 trout derby's at Rancho Seco, first one would be the first week in Dec. and the second one would be in march. Last year SMUD cancel the Dec. fishing derby and only had the one in April.
    Some of the trout for the Dec. trout derby didn't get caught on the derby weekend, and would spread out around the lake. It was a great place to float tube, and fly fish for those big trout all winter, and it was only 30 mins from Sacramento.
    I wonder how much it would cost for a 1000 lbs of 2-3lbs of trout to be planted in Rancho Seco? Could we get some sponsors from the fishing community, and the fishing clubs to help with a couple of trout plants for the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    SMUD sponsored 2 trout derby's at Rancho Seco, first one would be the first week in Dec. and the second one would be in march. Last year SMUD cancel the Dec. fishing derby and only had the one in April.
    Some of the trout for the Dec. trout derby didn't get caught on the derby weekend, and would spread out around the lake. It was a great place to float tube, and fly fish for those big trout all winter, and it was only 30 mins from Sacramento.
    I wonder how much it would cost for a 1000 lbs of 2-3lbs of trout to be planted in Rancho Seco? Could we get some sponsors from the fishing community, and the fishing clubs to help with a couple of trout plants for the winter months.
    I too am curious as too what some nice sized planters would cost to stock a pond. We have a little local pond and they have a derby once a year....fishing is a blast after that for that close 5 min drive. It would be nice to plant it and try and keep it quiet to fish the rest of the season when bored.

Well, it costs DFG around $3.60-4 a pound to raise standard rainbows, if you can believe that. The private hatcheries are all over the board but can certainly beat that, unless we're talking monsters.
    Last edited by KJE; 12-05-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Arrow Planters....

Seems like you could contact SMUD to find out where they get their Trout and at what price they pay.... Also, there's a private hatchery at Amador Lake. Not too far from Rancho....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Seems like you could contact SMUD to find out where they get their Trout and at what price they pay.... Also, there's a private hatchery at Amador Lake. Not too far from Rancho....
    If the price of fishing at Amador is closely related to what their planted fish cost then it is very expensive because Amador is ridiculously over price in my opinion.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Calaveras Trout Farm used to plant ranch seco back in the day. I met the guy out there once upon a time when I threw super dupers... ended up getting the guy's contact info. We would call him and bug for info on places and times he would plant.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalFishr View Post
    Calaveras Trout Farm used to plant ranch seco back in the day. I met the guy out there once upon a time when I threw super dupers... ended up getting the guy's contact info. We would call him and bug for info on places and times he would plant.
    Call already, what are you waiting for. I would like to catch and release some of those planters before the keepers keep all the fish.

It would be cool if you could get some info!!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

They quoted me $3.25 lb...

Lets say we could get 2 pounders for $6.50, he wasn't sure but could get back to me. For $1300 we could get 200 fish... and so on. Seemed pretty open to idea.